Viller Moeller Leads Cal To Win At Oregon
EUGENE, Ore. – Hannah Viller Moeller clinched No. 19 California's 4-3 victory over No. 46 Oregon on Friday at UO's Student Tennis Center, with the women's tennis freshman besting Uxia Martinez Moral, 6-4, 7-6(2), to wrap up the match. The young Dane also paired with Anna Bright to clinch the doubles point for the Golden Bears.
Cal improved its record to 13-3 overall (6-1 Pac-12). Oregon is now 11-5 (4-3 Pac-12).
This is the third time Viller Moeller has secured a victory for the Bears – she also clinched the 6-1, season-opening win over Saint Mary's on Jan. 21 and the 4-3, March 27 win over Washington State.
After Cal and Oregon split the first two doubles matches, the Bears captured the doubles point when Moeller and Bright defeated Lillian Mould and Janice Tjen, 6-4, on court two.
"We had to be really ready to go, because Oregon's been doing really well in doubles," Cal head coach Amanda Augustus said. "I'm pleased with how we competed on all three courts today."
But Oregon soon tied the contest 1-1 in singles, with the 121st-ranked Tjen beating Cal's 41st-ranked Haley Giavara, 6-1, 6-1, on court one.
Bright – who topped Ares Teixido Garcia, 6-2, 6-0 – and fellow senior Julia Rosenqvist – the Swede beat Mould, 6-3, 6-3 – then won back to back to give the Bears a 3-1 lead. Subsequent Cal losses knotted the match at 3-3 before Viller Moeller triumphed on court four to end the day.
Friday marked the second time this season that all three talented Cal freshmen – Viller Moeller, Jada Bui and Cami Brown – appeared in a dual match together and the first time they all competed in singles in one match.
"It's critical especially given that we didn't have a fall this year that our younger players get as much match experience as possible, especially on the road," Augustus said. "They did a good job, and that will serve us well this season and in their personal growth and development going forward. It's super important whenever possible that everyone gets an opportunity to put a point on the board for the team."
Cal returns to Berkeley for its final regular-season home match on Sunday at 12 p.m., when the Bears host No. 7 Pepperdine at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
No. 19 California (13-3, 6-1 Pac-12) defeated No. 46 Oregon (11-5, 4-3 Pac-12), 4-3
April 2, 2021, in Eugene, Ore.
Student Tennis Center
1. Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (Cal) def. Rifanty Kahfiani/Uxia Martinez Moral (Ore.), 6-3
2. Anna Bright/Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal) def. Lillian Mould/Janice Tjen (Ore.), 6-4*
3. Julia Eshet/Allison Mulville (Ore.) def. Erin Richardson/Julia Rosenqvist (Cal), 6-4
Order of Finish – 3, 1, 2*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 121 Janice Tjen (Ore.) def. No. 41 Haley Giavara (Cal), 6-1, 6-1
2. Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) def. Lillian Mould (Ore.), 6-3, 6-3
3. Rifanty Kahfiani (Ore.) def. Jada Bui (Cal), 6-4, 6-4
4. Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal) def. Uxia Martinez Moral (Ore.), 6-4, 7-6(2)^
5. Anna Bright (Cal) def. Ares Teixido Garcia (Ore.), 6-2, 6-0
6. Julia Eshet (Ore.) def. Cami Brown (Cal), 6-2, 7-6(5)
Order of Finish – 1, 5, 2, 3, 6, 4^
^Clinched the overall match