Women's Tennis Falls 4-3 to Washington State
Salt Lake City – The Utah Women's Tennis team hosted the Washington State Cougars this Friday afternoon to continue Pac-12 play at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center. After securing the doubles point, the Utes fell short in singles play for a final score of 4-3.
"Proud of our efforts today," said head coach Ric Mortera. "Obviously, a very tough ending to the match but we are certainly growing in some spots and learning some important lessons. I appreciate the fight the team is showing and we are looking forward to another opportunity on Sunday."
After the Utes fell to the WSU duo on court two, the point was left to the decision of courts one and two, both with tied scores (4-4). On court one, Emily Dush and Anastasia Goncharova took the upper hand over their opponents, finishing the match 6-4.
On court three, the Utes were able to secure the double point when Madison Tattini and Lindsay Hung stood up to WSU's Pang Jittkoat and Fifa Kumhom, going into a tiebreaker and taking the victory 7-6 (7-4).
During singles play, the Utes were in a close battle with the Cougars, with three matches going into tiebreaker sets. The Cougars secured their first point on court one, where Dush fell to WSU's Michaela Bayerlova 6-0, 6-4. Their second point came when Hikaru Sato defeated Lamoreaux on court two, 7-6 (7-1), 6-2, giving WSU a single point advantage in the match. On court five, WSU also took the victory when Lamoreaux fell 6-2, 7-6 (7-4) to Melisa Ates.
Utah's second point came on court three, where Hung defeated the opposition 4-6, 6-4, 6-0 after three sets. On court six, Tattini downed WSU's Yang Lee after three tough sets for final scores of 6-7 (8-10), 6-2, 6-2. The match point was left to be decided on court four, where Goncharova also played through three sets with her opponent, but ultimately fell short for score 6-7 (3-7), 7-6 (7-3), 6-4.
The Utes will continue their last home-match weekend on Sunday, Apr. 4, when they will host Washington to continue Pac-12 play. The first serve will take place at 11 a.m. MT at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center.
WSU 4, UTAH 3
1. Michaela Bayerlova (WSU) def. Emily Dush (UTAH) 6-0, 6-4
2. Hikaru Sato (WSU) def. Madeline Lamoreaux (UTAH) 7-6 (7-1), 6-2
3. Lindsay Hung (UTAH) def. Pang Jittkoat (WSU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
4. Savanna Ly-Ngyuen (WSU) def. Anastasia Goncharova (UTAH) 7-6 (7-3), 6-7 (3-7), 6-4
5. Melisa Ates (WSU) def. Anya Lamoreaux (UTAH) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Madison Tattini (UTAH) def. Yang Lee (WSU) 6-7 (8-10), 6-2, 6-2
1. Emily Dush/Anastasia Goncharova (UTAH) def. Melisa Ates/Hikaru Sato (WSU) 6-4
2. Michaela Bayerlova/Yang Lee (WSU) def. Anya Lamoreaux/Madeline Lamoreaux (UTAH) 6-3
3. Madison Tattini/Lindsay Hung (UTAH) def. Pang Jittakoat/Fifa Kumhom (WSU) 7-6 (7-4)