Arizona Goes 2-0 and Secures Huge Win over No. 8 Pepperdine
TUCSON, Ariz. -- The No. 13 Arizona Wildcats went big time in day two of the Arizona Invitational. Against Missouri State the Cats pulled their fourth victory over the Bears, with a final score of 4-1. Against No. 8 Pepperdine, Arizona was able to secure their first victory over the Waves in program history with a 4-1 final. This is the Cats first time beating the Waves in the last four years of meeting.
Against Missouri State, all four winning courts were able to shut the Bears down in only two sets. Quick performances from Alana Rennie & Alex Parkhurst on court one and Olivia Hallaran and Hope Shannon on court two the Cats allowed the Cats to clinch the first two courts with the Bears only scoring as high as 12. Natalie Anselmo and Carly Lowry earned their second win of the tournament and 10th victory of the season going 21-12, 21-10. On court two Brooke Burling and Sarah Blacker fought hard in the third set to clinch a sweep but fell short by two. This is the Cats fourth victory over the Bears in the last two years.
The match against No. 8 Pepperdine is one for the books as the Wildcats pulled out a 4-1 victory for the first time in program history. With Pepperdine pair, Bauer & Filiponne on court one and Olivia Hallaran & Hope Shannon on court five earning a point for their teams in just two sets, the duel was 1-1 early on. Arizona came back quick as Dana Parker & Mady Noble responded with an Arizona point of their own being the last pair to stop at two. With a 2-1 lead in favor of Arizona and courts two and three advancing to the third set, the pairs were fighting hard. Natalie Anselmo & Carly Lowry won the duel for Arizona going 19-21, 24-22, 25-10. The last pair fought long and hard with Brooke Burling & Sarah Blacker going 13-21, 21-19, 21-19 to end the match. This is Arizona's first victory over the Waves in program history.
Head Coach Steve Walker
"It goes without saying the win against a program the level of Pepperdine is nice. I have so much respect for how they conduct themselves and we've even tried to model some of the things we do after them. The win really is a reflection of just how close we've been all year to simply playing solid, steady volleyball in all flights. I'm most happy for our seniors, who stepped up in a big way. We have a lot of season left and plenty of work to do. I'm just thankful I get to do it with this cast of young women."
No. 13 Arizona 4, No. 8 Pepperdine 1
1. Bauer, Brook/Filippone, Alexis (PEP) def. Alana Rennie/Alex Parkhurst (ARIZ) 21-14, 21-12
2. Brooke Burling/Sarah Blacker (ARIZ) def. Paul, Melanie/Priebe, Simone (PEP) 13-21, 21-19, 21-19
3. Natalie Anselmo/Carly Lowry (ARIZ) def. Sinclair, Mary/Mactavish, Sutton (PEP) 19-21, 24-22, 15-10
4. Dana Parker/Mady Noble (ARIZ) def. Lewis, Peyton/Pedersen, Gracie (PEP) 21-16, 21-12
5. Olivia Hallaran/Hope Shannon (ARIZ) def. Gavin, Katie/Wright, Calista (PEP) 21-12, 21-11
Order of finish: Doubles (1,5,4,3,2);
No. 13 Arizona 4, Missouri State 1
1. Alana Rennie/Alex Parkhurst (ARIZ) def. Tylar Garrett/Chloe Filipski (MSU) 21-9, 21-12
2. Chloe Tome/Grace Cook (MSU) def. Brooke Burling/Sarah Blacker (ARIZ) 24-22, 19-21, 15-13
3. Natalie Anselmo/Carly Lowry (ARIZ) def. Kylee Davis/Parker McAllen (MSU) 21-13, 21-10
4. Abby Russell/Hope Shannon (ARIZ) def. Tory Penick/Pamela Jaime (MSU) 21-14, 21-19
5. Olivia Hallaran/Jonny Baham (ARIZ) def. Brooke Plessner/Gala Galabova (MSU) 21-11, 21-10
Order of finish: Doubles (5,1,3,4,2);