Cougs Capture Fawley Cup in a Win over Gonzaga
COLTON, Wash. – The Washington State rowing team captured the Fawley Cup once again on Saturday, April 3, as the Cougars defeated Gonzaga in their first home regatta of the 2021 spring season.
The Cougars laid claim to the Fawley Cup by winning the first varsity eight race against the Bulldogs, winning the race with a time of 7:09.42. WSU posted a +7.19 margin over GU in the cup race. Washington State has now won four-straight Fawley Cup races and have 26 of the 29 races since its inception back during the 1991 season.
Washington State was able to capture victories in four of the five races against Gonzaga at Wawawai Landing on a day that had between five-to-eight mile-per-hour winds on the Snake River.
WSU won both the first varsity four and second varsity eight to claim the regatta victory over GU. WSU won the first varsity four with a time of 8:13.04 and a +10.73-time margin. The second varsity eight boat posted a +7.97 margin, clocking in at 7:24.24.
"It's really gratifying to see a lot of our hard work payoff," said WSU rowing head coach Jane LaRiviere. "We've had three races now and I've seen great improvement in all the areas we've been working on. It was great to win the Fawley Cup. Even up until yesterday we were making quite a few switches, but I loved how the team came together today and worked as a team. Those are the things you want to see early in the season."
The Cougs also claimed victory in the second varsity four race, posting a +14.56-time margin. The day began with the varsity third race, where WSU would finish second to the Bulldogs after clocking in with a time of 8:20.68.
Washington State returns to action next Saturday, April 10, as the Cougs head back to Lake Las Vegas in Henderson, Nevada to race in the Pac-12 Invitational.
For more information on the Washington State rowing team follow @WSUCougarsRowing on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
First Varsity 8+
1) Washington State - 7:09.42 (Renee Kemp, Emma Barrett, Kateryna Maistrenko, Caitlin Donaldson, Madeleine Bingham, Lucy Climer-Kennedy, Abigail Linnenkohl, Grace Trujillo; coxswain: Ainsley Tiernan)
2) Gonzaga - 7:16.89
Second Varsity 8+
1) Washington State - 7:24.24 (Cate Field, Laurita Nemeraviciute, Maddy Pollard, Hana Anderson, Sue Yu, Sydney Wick, Cierra Bird, Samantha Schmidt; coxswain Paloma Probart)
2) Gonzaga - 7:31.97
Third Varsity 8+
1) Gonzaga - 8:03.78
2) Washington State - 8:20.68 (McHugh, Frick, Chevuront, Curtright, James, Wiley, Gore, Miller, coxswain: Bohuslavizki)
First Varsity 4+
1) Washington State - 8:13.04 (Molly Miller, Isabella Cristelli, Jensyn Smith, Ilaria Macchi; coxswain: Makenna Price)
2) Gonzaga - 8:23.31
Second Varsity 4+
1) Washington State - 8:13.03 (Nora Hefte, Isabella Cristelli, Jensyn Smith, Ilaria Macchi; coxswain: Makenna Price)
2) Gonzaga - 8:27.20