Men's Tennis Rolls to Sweep of Huskies
LOS ANGELES – The No. 19/36 UCLA men's tennis team dropped just one set en route to a 7-0 win over Washington Saturday afternoon at Los Angeles Tennis Center.
The Bruins (10-3, 4-1 Pac-12) picked up the doubles point and never looked back, with Govind Nanda, Keegan Smith and Mathew Tsolakyan accounting for the victories needed to seal the overall win. Smith clinched the result. The Huskies dropped to 9-9, 0-5 in conference play, with the loss.
Tsolaklyan and Roscoe Bellamy rolled to a 6-0 defeat of Han-Chih Lin and Ewen Lumsden on Court 6 to set the tone early. With the UCLA pairs leading by 5-3 scores on the remaining courts, it was No. 75 tandem of Bryce Pereira and Keegan Smith that clinched the first point. Pereira and Smith beat Thibault Cancel and Jack Davis, 6-3, on the top court.
Five first sets went the way of the Bruins, with Tsolakyan posting a 6-0 showing on Court 6. He nearly blanked Adam Torocsik entirely, curing to a 6-0, 6-1 decision. No. 116 Nanda registered a 6-0 set of his own, in the second, handing Lumsden a 6-3, 6-0 loss on Court 2.
In a matchup of top-75 opponents on Court 1, No. 48 Smith held off No. 73 Chidekh for a 6-1, 6-4 result that gave UCLA the ever-important fourth point. No. 81 Drew Baird followed suit with a pair of 6-4 sets against Davis to make it 5-0.
Sam Feit of the Bruins cruised through his first set with Jack Pulliam, but needed to hold on late in the second. He did just that, posting a 6-1, 6-4 performance on Court 5 to turn the attention to Court 4.
Ben Goldberg dropped his first set against Han-Chih Lin of Washington, but came back to split and force a 10-point tiebreaker. Goldberg secured the final three points to complete the sweep, 3-6, 6-4, 1-0(7).
Next up for UCLA is a Tuesday afternoon match at LATC with San Diego. First serve is set for 2:30 p.m., PT.
Tennis Match Results
Washington vs UCLA
4/3/2021 at Los Angeles, CA
(Los Angeles Tennis Center)
#36 UCLA 7, Washington 0
1. #48 Keegan Smith (UCLA) def. #73 Clement Chidekh (WASH) 6-1, 6-4
2. #116 Govind Nanda (UCLA) def. Ewen Lumsden (WASH) 6-3, 6-0
3. #81 Drew Baird (UCLA) def. Jack Davis (WASH) 6-4, 6-4
4. Ben Goldberg (UCLA) def. Han-Chih Lin (WASH) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Sam Feit (UCLA) def. Jack Pulliam (WASH) 6-1, 6-4
6. Mathew Tsolakyan (UCLA) def. Adam Torocsik (WASH) 6-0, 6-1
1. #75 Bryce Pereira/Keegan Smith (UCLA) def. Thibault Cancel/Jack Davis (WASH) 6-3
2. Drew Baird/Govind Nanda (UCLA) vs. Alexis Alvarez/Clement Chidekh (WASH) 5-3, unfinished
3. Roscoe Bellamy/Mathew Tsolakyan (UCLA) def. Han-Chih Lin/Ewen Lumsden (WASH) 6-0
UCLA 10-3; National ranking #36
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,2,1,3,5,4)