USC Women’s Tennis Collects Pac-12 Win Over Arizona State
TEMPE, Ariz.--The No. 39 USC women's tennis team beat No. 34 Arizona State 5-2 today (Apr. 3) in Tempe, Ariz. The Women of Troy now hold a 11-6 overall record and a 5-2 Pac-12 record for the 2021 season.
The Trojans made the first move as Cheong/Dvorak beat Arizona State's Kolarova/Turkovic 6-3 on court three. The Sun Devils responded with a win of their own from court one as Hattingh/John-Baptiste beat USC's Cayetano/Kulikov 6-2. The doubles point rested on the result of court two. USC's Ewing/McKee fell in a tight match to Sun Devil pair Hampton/Argyrokastriti 7-6 (3), and Arizona State nabbed the doubles point.
The Trojans entered singles at a 0-1 deficit. The Sun Devils continued to roll with the momentum from their doubles point win, and Cali Jankowski beat USC redshirt senior Clare McKee 6-3, 6-2 on court six to push ASU ahead 2-0.
This lit a fire under the Trojans, and USC sophomore No. 123 Eryn Cayetano was the first to swing the momentum in favor of the Trojans with her 6-4, 6-4 victory over Sun Devil Sammi Hampton on court four. Trojan junior Danielle Willson evened out the score at 2-2 with her 6-4, 6-3 win over Sun Devil Marianna Argyrokastriti on court four.
Trojan junior Salma Ewing collected another point for the Women of Troy when she defeated #119 Ilze Hattingh 7-5, 6-3 from court one. USC freshman No. 69 Naomi Cheong clinched the match for the Trojans with her 7-6 (5), 6-3 win over Arizona State's Lauryn John-Baptiste on court three.
Redshirt senior Summer Dvorak closed out the match by tallying the final point for USC with her 7-5, 6-2 victory over Sun Devil Domenika Turkovic on court five.
Up next, the Trojans will return to Marks Stadium to face California on Apr. 9 at 1:30 p.m. PT, and Stanford on Apr. 10 at 12 p.m. PT.
No. 39 USC 5, No. 34 Arizona State 2
April 3, 2021 – Tempe, Ariz.
- Hattingh/John-Baptiste (ASU) def. Cayetano/Kulikov (USC) – 6-2
- Hampton/Argyrokastriti (ASU) def. Ewing/McKee (USC) – 7-6 (3)*
- Cheong/Dvorak (USC) def. Kolarova/Turkovic (ASU) – 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2*
Arizona State wins the doubles point
- Salma Ewing (USC) def. #119 Ilze Hattingh (ASU) – 7-5, 6-3
- #123 Eryn Cayetano (USC) def. Sammi Hampton (ASU) – 6-4, 6-4
- #69 Naomi Cheong (USC) def. Lauryn John-Baptiste (ASU) – 7-6 (5), 6-3*
- Danielle Willson (USC) def. Marianna Argyrokastriti (ASU) – 6-4, 6-3
- Summer Dvorak (USC) def. Domenika Turkovic (ASY) – 7-5, 6-2
- Cali Jankowski (ASU) def. Clare McKee (USC) – 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 4, 1, 3*, 5