Water Polo Falls to No. 6 Cal on the Road
BERKELEY, CALIF.-- The Sun Devil water polo team lost to the California Golden Bears in their first road game of the season. The comeback efforts fell short, as ASU fell 12-7, and dropped to 5-2 in Mountain Sports Pacific Federation conference play.
Bente Rogge was a bright spot for the Sun Devils, recording two goals and two steals. She now holds the longest scoring streak on the team with 14 consecutive games. Her two goals moved her up in the record books, putting her at 139 in her career and sole possession of 8th all-time in goals scored.
Despite the team's late comeback efforts with three goals in the fourth quarter, ASU could not stop the Golden Bears and were unable to capitalize on power play opportunities, going just 3-14 on the day. Chelsea Karimazondo got the start at goalie for the Sun Devils recording 10 saves, and held Cal to 12 goals on 34 shots, a 0.353 shooting percentage.
Up Next: The Sun Devils will look to split the conference series against Cal tomorrow with one last game in Berkeley at 12:00 p.m. MST before returning home. The game will not be live streamed, but you can follow along via The FOSH live stats.
ASU 7, California 12
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- ASU jumped out to an early lead with Lara Kiss's goal 47 seconds into the game.
- Cal quickly got the goal back at the 6:43 mark in the first.
- Despite drawing three Cal exclusions, ASU was down 3-1 heading into the second quarter.
- Cal took two early goals in the second to extend their lead.
- Bori Kekesi got ASU on the board in the second at the 4:41 mark.
- Amira Van Buren scored with 0:46 seconds remaining in the second to send them into the half down 6-3.
- Cal scored four goals in the third to ASU's one goal and was able to pull away.
- Down 10-4 heading into the fourth quarter, ASU had three goals in the fourth quarter but were unable to cut into the Golden Bear's lead.