Huskies Get Another Pac-12 Win, Blanking Utes
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Huskies earned a second-straight Pac-12 road win today, shutting out Utah at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center. Washington (11-6, 3-5 Pac-12) got singles wins from Zoey Weil and Sarah-Maude Fortin and then a third win from senior Vanessa Wong to clinch it and halt the remaining matches with the Dawgs on top, 4-0.
The Huskies earned the doubles point for the second straight match, having also taken it at Colorado on Friday. Wong and Fortin were 6-3 winners at No. 1 doubles and Nika Zupancic and Tara Chilton won, 6-2, in the No. 3 match. Sedona Gallagher and Zoey Weil led 5-3 at No. 2 when the Huskies clinched the point.
Wong's clinching win at No. 1 singles over Emily Dush required her to save several set points in the second set tiebreak, but she rose to the challenge and finished a 6-4, 7-6 (9-7) win.
Fortin's win was the first up as she completed a 2-0 week in singles with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Madeline Lamoreaux at No. 2 singles. Weil then got a 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 6 singles over Madison Tattini.
"We had a great weekend overall," said Head Coach Robin Stephenson. "It's always a tough trip and we ewre faced with plenty of adversity and we handled it all extremely well. To get two Pac-12 road wins is exactly what we needed and our whole lineup gained a lot of confidence with these wins. We feel like we are getting better with every match and want to be playing our best tennis from here on out. We can't wait to get back hom and prepare really well for our next opportunity against Oregon."
Gallagher was one game away from adding another Husky point but did not get to finish. She led Lindsay Hung, 4-6, 6-2, 5-2 at No. 3 singles. Zupancic and Chilton were both early in third sets in their singles matches, having both split the first two sets.
The Huskies will look to keep their conference win streak going this coming Friday when they host Oregon at Bill Quillian Stadium at 1:30 p.m. in the penultimate match of the regular season.
Washington Women's Tennis
April 4, 2021
George S. Eccles Tennis Center | Salt Lake City, Utah
Washington – 4
Utah – 0
1. (#52) Vanessa Wong (UW) def. Emily Dush (Utah), 6-4, 7-6 (7)
2. Sarah-Maude Fortin (UW) def. Madeline Lamoreaux (Utah) – 6-3, 6-3
3. Sedona Gallagher (UW) vs. Lindsay Hung (Utah) – 4-6, 6-2, 5-2 DNF
4. Nika Zupancic (UW) vs. Anastasia Goncharova (Utah) – 7-5, 2-6 DNF
5. Tara Chilton (UW) vs. Anya Lamoreaux (Utah) – 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 DNF
6. Zoey Weil (UW) def. Madison Tattini (Utah) – 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 1
1. Wong/Fortin (UW) def. Dush/Goncharova (Utah) – 6-3
2. Weil/Gallagher (UW) vs. Lamoreaux/Lamoreaux (Utah) – 5-3 DNF
3. Chilton/Zupancic (UW) def. Tattini/Hung (Utah) – 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1