No. 19 Cal Edged By No. 7 Pepperdine 4-3
BERKELEY – The 19th-ranked California women's tennis team battled seventh-ranked Pepperdine on Sunday for the second time in less than two weeks. But the Golden Bears lost to the Waves in their regular-season home finale, 4-3, at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
Cal's record stands at 13-4 after suffering its first loss at home this year, as the Bears finish 9-1 at Hellman in the regular season. Pepperdine has a 13-2 record.
The Waves clinched the doubles point when Lisa Zaar and Taisiya Pachkaleva defeated the Bears' Jada Bui and Erin Richardson, 7-5, on court three.
Four of the six singles matches were three-setters, including the clinching win for Pepperdine. In that contest, Cal's Valentina Ivanov took the first set on court three, but the Waves' Shiori Fukuda wound up winning, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
Cal won two of the three-setters, with the 41st-ranked Haley Giavara topping Ashley Lahey, 6-7(8), 6-4, 6-4, on court one, and senior Anna Bright besting Astrid Olen, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2, on court six.
In the last match of the day, Cal freshman Hannah Viller Moeller knocked off Nikki Redelijk, 6-4, 7-6(3).
Sunday's match had a different complexion to it than the teams' first meeting this year on March 23, when Cal lost 6-1 at Pepperdine.
"Playing at home helped us because we're more confident here and we've been doing well at home," Bright said. "Our mentality was different, we learned some things from last time we played and we were hungry today. We believed we could do it."
"We had a very close match that could've gone either way," Cal head coach Amanda Augustus added. "So many of the matches went back and forth. It was a great match. We played hard. Hannah is doing really well. That was a great win for her today and for Haley and Anna as well. This bodes well going into next weekend at the L.A. schools."
Cal returns to Pac-12 Conference play later this week in Los Angeles, where the Bears face No. 39 USC on Friday and No. 10 UCLA on Saturday.
No. 7 Pepperdine (13-2) defeated No. 19 California (13-4), 4-3
April 4, 2021, in Berkeley, Calif.
Hellman Tennis Complex
1. Jessica Failla/Shiori Fukuda (Pepperdine) def. Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (Cal), 6-3
2. Anna Bright/Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal) vs. Ashley Lahey/Nikki Redelijk (Pepperdine), 5-4 Unfinished
3. Lisa Zaar/Taisiya Pachkaleva (Pepperdine) def. Jada Bui/Erin Richardson (Cal), 7-5*
Order of Finish – 1, 3*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 41 Haley Giavara (Cal) def. Ashley Lahey (Pepperdine), 6-7(8), 6-4, 6-2
2. No. 115 Taisiya Pachkaleva (Pepperdine) def. Julia Rosenqvist (Cal), 2-6, 6-0, 6-3
3. Shiori Fukuda (Pepperdine) def. Valentina Ivanov (Cal), 3-6, 6-4, 6-1^
4. Lisa Zaar (Pepperdine) def. Jada Bui (Cal), 6-4, 6-3
5. Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal) def. Nikki Redelijk (Pepperdine), 6-4, 7-6(3)
6. Anna Bright (Cal) def. Astrid Olsen (Pepperdine), 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
Order of Finish – 4, 2, 3^, 1, 6, 5
^Clinched the overall match