EUGENE, Ore. - No. 25 Stanford dropped a 4-3 decision at No. 46 Oregon on Sunday afternoon, losing to the Ducks for the first time in school history.
Sunday's defeat closed out an uncharacteristic weekend for Stanford (10-2, 6-1 Pac-12), which also lost 4-3 to No. 7 Pepperdine on Friday to suffer back-to-back losses for the first time since 2016, when the Cardinal fell to Mississippi (Jan. 29) and Vanderbilt (Jan. 30).
Oregon (12-5, 5-3 Pac-12) captured the doubles point, capitalized on a short-handed Stanford singles lineup and clinched the match when Uxia Martinez Moral outlasted Sara Choy 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 on court four.
The Cardinal, playing without singles lineup regular Ana Geller, also lost for only the second time in 46 regular-season Pac-12 matches.
Trailing 1-0, Stanford ripped off three consecutive singles wins, with Emily Arbuthnott, Emma Higuchi and Angelica Blake cruising to straight-set victories to put pressure on Oregon.
The Ducks countered with a pair of wins to make it 3-3 and eventually picked up the clincher when Martinez Moral rallied past Choy.
Stanford's challenging schedule continues next week, visiting UCLA on Friday in the first of a two-match SoCal road swing.
No. 46 Oregon 4, No. 25 Stanford 3
1) Kahfiani/Martinez Moral (ORE) led Gordon/Madurawe (STAN) 5-3, susp.
2) Mould/Tjen (ORE) d. Arbuthnott/Blake (STAN) 6-2
3) Eshet/Mulville (ORE) d. Choy/Higuchi (STAN) 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2
1) No. 121 Janice Tjen (ORE) d. No. 48 Michaela Gordon (STAN) 7-5, 6-3
2) Emily Arbuthnott (STAN) d. Lilian Mould (ORE) 6-1, 6-3
3) Angelica Blake (STAN) d. Rifanty Kahfiani (ORE) 6-3, 6-2
4) Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) d. Sara Choy (STAN) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
5) Julia Eshet (ORE) d. Niluka Madurawe (STAN) 7-5, 7-6 (6)
6) Emma Higuchi (STAN) d. Myah Petchey (ORE) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 3, 1, 5, 4