Sand Devils Host Pac-12 North Invitational In Phoenix
TEMPE, Ariz. – Top-15 teams are coming to the valley this weekend as Sun Devil Beach Volleyball hosts the Pac-12 North Invitational on April 10 and 11 on Grand Canyon's courts in Phoenix.
Sun Devil Outlook
Arizona State (4-7)
- After a week off, the Sand Devils are back in another conference invitational. At the end of March, Arizona State participated in the Pac-12 South Invitational in Tucson, picking up its first conference win over Washington.
- Fifth-year senior Katelyn Carballo broke the record for individual career wins in the win over the Huskies. She now has 63 career wins and leads the team with her partner Lexi Sweeney with seven wins this season, on pace to finish in the top 10 for pairs wins in a season.
- Senior Samantha Plaster hit 50 wins in her career at the Pac-12 South Invitational. She is currently in fifth in the record book with 51. Fellow senior Cierra Flood is not far behind with 44 total wins in seventh place.
- Behind Carballo and Sweeney, two Sand Devil pairs have five wins. Flood and Sarah Waters have five wins, playing mostly at the No. 3 spot. Freshmen Taryn Ames and Kate Fitzgerald also have five wins, playing on courts four and five.
No. 1 UCLA (15-1)
- The Bruins are coming off of a fantastic weekend where they won four duals, two over LSU and two over Florida State, both top-five teams. They have won 12 in a row and their lone loss came at the hands of USC.
- ASU faced UCLA at the Pac-12 South Invitational, falling 5-0. The lone win over the Bruins in program history was in 2015.
No. 11 Cal (9-5)
- The Bears went 3-1 at the Pac-12 South Invitational, beating Washington, Oregon and Utah. On Tuesday, Cal snapped a two-game losing streak by beating Saint Mary's 3-2.
- This will be the first meeting between ASU and Cal this season. The Bears have won the last three meetings, with the Sand Devils' last win coming in 2019 at the Pac-12 Championships.
- UW picked up its first win of the season at the Pac-12 South Invitational, beating Utah 5-0. The Dawgs also pushed the No. 11 Bears, losing in a close 3-2 dual.
- The Sun Devils are looking for their second win this season against the Huskies, third in a row dating back to 2019. In the first meeting, UW picked up a win on court two.
No. 2 USC (14-2)
- The Trojans went 2-2 last weekend at home, splitting the two-game series against both Florida State and LSU. Those losses were the first two for USC of the season, opening the season on a 12-game win streak.
- ASU and USC will face off for the first time this season. The Sun Devils have beaten the Trojans just once, back in 2015.
How to Follow
The event is not open to the public, but fans can follow along on social media (@SunDevilBeachVB) for updates.