No. 2 UCLA In Town for MPSF Matchup
TEMPE, ARIZ- After two games on the road at Cal, Sun Devil water polo returns home to face No. 2(T) UCLA for a pair of conference games at Mona Plummer. Water polo has an impressive 11-4 home record, and can add to that with their final two home games of the season before hosting the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championship.
??Conference championship update??https://t.co/BISd41efmW
— Sun Devil Water Polo (@SunDevilWP) April 7, 2021
Arizona State is coming off of two road losses to No. 4 ranked Cal in Berkeley, while UCLA won their two road games over San Jose State. The Sun Devils remain in the top five in the Collegiate Water Polo Association weekly polls for the eighth straight week meanwhile the Bruins are tied in the two spot with Stanford.
Record Book Update: Bente Rogge is currently eighth all-time in career goals scored in program history, with 139. She sits behind Lynlee Smith who holds No. 7 all-time with 156 goals.
On Watch: Luca Petovary's 33 goals lead the team, and also have her on watch to enter record books for the all-time goals scored as a freshman. Lieke Rogge is currently 9th all time with 37 goals, so four more goals for Petovary would have her tied with L. Rogge and etched in the Sun Devil record books.
Game info: Both games will take place at Mona Plummer in Tempe, where the two teams will play at 11:30 a.m. MST on Saturday, April 10 and again at 9:30 a.m. MST on Sunday, April 11. Both games will be viewable via the Arizona State Live Stream.
Live Stream: https://pac-12.com/live/arizona-state-university-3
About the No. 2 Bruins (7-1, 5-1):
- Cal was ranked third in the preseason polls, after ending their 2020 season with an 19-2 record.
- They have a 5-1 record in MPSF play, and sit at second in the division behind USC (6-0).
- The Bruins are currently on a three game win streak after three straight conference wins.
- UCLA has the all-time advantage with a 23-1 record against the Sun Devils.
- UCLA boasts an impressive 5-1 record on the road.
- Malia Allen is the reigning MPSF Newcomer of the Week for two straight weeks.
- UCLA won the NCAA championship from 2005-2009, and the MPSF championships most recently in 2015 and 2017
About the No. 5 Sun Devils (11-6, 5-3):
- The Sun Devils are 5-3 in MPSF play.
- Their 5-3 MPSF record has them in the four spot behind Stanford (0.667) and ahead of Cal (0.333).
- Their No. 5 ranking is just the program's 38th time in this position.
- This is the eighth straight week the Sun Devils have been ranked in the top five of the CWPA polls.
- Luca Petovary is second in the MPSF in goals with 33, and is tied for seventh in the NCAA.
- Bente Rogge and Lara Kiss lead the MPSF in field blocks with 12 apiece, and are fourth in the NCAA.
- Rogge is last week's reigning MPSF Player of the Week.
- Kiss is second in assists with 20 in the MPSF behind IU's Zoe Crouch (32).
- Blaire McDowell is second in steals in the MPSF with 26, behind teammate Rogge who is tied for the lead with 28.
- After a 19 save weekend, Karimazondo is second in the MPSF in saves with 78.