Lacrosse Picks Up 16-13 Road Win Against UC Davis
DAVIS, Calif. – Colorado lacrosse led UC Davis 11-6 at halftime, but the Aggies worked their way back and got back within two goals (15-13) during the second half at UC Davis Health Stadium on Friday afternoon before the Buffaloes were able to close the door on UCD and pick up their first road win of the season.
The Buffs (6-5) ended up with a 16-13 win and worked hard against a very aggressive UCD team that was looking for its first win this season over a Pac-12 team. The Aggies, now 7-4, have only lost to Pac-12 teams this season.
"Thank you to UC Davis for hosting us on short notice," Colorado coach Ann Elliott Whidden said. "Every opportunity we get to play this year is special. It was a hard fought game on both ends today. We knew it was going to be going in and we were able to make enough plays down stretch to get it done.
"I'm proud of the grit we had towards the end as the game got close, the ability to dig down and make a play. That is a tough, well-coached team we played and we are glad to get the win. Moving forward, we just have to keep getting better and be able to handle pressure situations better. We know what we are capable of doing. Today wasn't our best effort all around but they found a way; sometimes that is all you can ask. We will turn our focus to Cal now. This is a huge conference game for us."
Charlie Rudy, Sadie Grozier and Zoe Lawless led the Buffs in scoring against the Aggies. Grozier recorded a team-high six points with four goals and two assists, while Rudy had four goals and one assist. Lawless scored three goals.
Colorado played a strong first half, out-shooting UCD 25-10. But the second half was tipped in the Aggies' favor as they recorded 14 shots to CU's 11. They also out-scored CU 7-5.
The win was important to the CU for a couple of reasons. It moved the Buffs above .500 for the first time this season (6-5, 3-3 Pac-12) and was also the first road win for CU in 2021. The Buffs are on the road for the rest of the season after closing out the home portion of the schedule last week with a pair of conference wins, so this was a great springboard for CU with three additional regular-season road games left this season.
WHAT HAPPENED: The Aggies recorded three quick goals in the first 2:30 to start the game, but the Buffaloes were able to answer with a pair of goals from Grozier in the same minute to bring CU within one just four minutes into the contest.
The Aggies scored the next goal at 24:09, but after that Colorado put together a 4-0 run to go up 6-4. In that run, Rudy scored a pair of goals, while Lawless and Liz Phillips added the other two. UC Davis ended the run at 11:03, cutting the score to one (6-5), but Colorado responded with another big run, this one including five straight goals.
Grozier started things off at 8:48, and then Rudy recorded two-in-a-row. Phillips added her second at 5:35 before Chloe Willard recorded her first marker of the game at 4:14 to put the Buffs up 11-5. UCD closed the half with a goal at 3:15 (11-6).
The Aggies started the scoring again in the second half at 29:05, and it was pretty much a back-and-forth affair with each team trading goals until UCD scored two straight to make the score 15-12 with 13:18 remaining in the game.
UCD recorded the next goal, making it three straight, to cut the Buffs' advantage to a pair two minutes later. Morgan Pence put a stop to the Aggies' run, scoring a goal at 4:31 to once again put CU up by three (16-13). Her goal helped to stop the Aggies' momentum, which in turn, helped CU hang on for the win.
KEY STAT: Colorado's two scoring runs in the first half were key in the win. When combined, the 9-1 run from 23:28-4:14 in the first half dominated the game for almost 20 minutes.
- Charlie Rudy has scored in 16 straight games dating back to the season opener of the 2020 season.
- Rudy recorded a hat-trick for the eighth time this season with her four goals in today's game.
- Rudy had another man-up goal in the game giving her 10 for her career. She now ranks third in CU history behind Johnna Fusco (11) and Miranda Stinson (14).
- Sadie Grozier has recorded at least one point in each of CU's 11 games this season.
- She has recorded a hat-trick in six games this season.
- Grozier is three goals away from her 100th career goal.
- Zoe Lawless recorded her sixth hat-trick of the season in 11 games
- For the third time this season, the Buffs have three players record three or more goals as Rudy (4), Grozier (4) and Lawless (3) combined for 11 goals.
- CU leads the all-time series 5-0 with UC Davis.
- The Buffs never lost to the Aggies when they played in the MPSF together.
- The Buffs are 1-4 on the road this season.
- Colorado is 39-0 when scoring 15-19 goals since the program started in 2014.
- UC Davis used two goalies against the Buffs. Taylor Mathieson started in goal and allowed 10 goals and made six saves in 24:25 minutes. Ashley Lang came in during the first half and allowed six goals and made five saves in 35:35 minutes.
|Points: 21||Points: 18|
|Goals: 16||Goals: 13|
|Assists: 5||Assists: 5|
|Draw Controls: 16||Draw Controls: 15|
|Ground Balls: 20||Ground Balls: 13|
|Saves: 6||Saves: 11|
UP NEXT: Colorado heads to Berkeley, Calif., for a Pac-12 Conference match-up against California on April 11, at 3 p.m. MT.