Skip to main content

Utah Soccer Stuns No. 17 Sun Devils In Salt Lake City

Apr 9, 2021

SALT LAKE CITY – Utah soccer's unshakable defense and a goal from Kaylee Coatney guided the Utes to a 1-0 upset over the No. 17-ranked Arizona State Sun Devils Friday night at Ute Field. Utah limited the Arizona State offense for the majority of the game, and despite a sequence of shots on goal in the last few minutes, SJ Edwards and the Ute defense managed to complete the shutout and earn the win.

Utah set the tone from the get-go and limited Arizona State to just one shot on goal in the first half, which did not come until the 43rd minute. The Utes got a great look in the fifth minute to get the night started after Coatney drilled a ball just outside of the top right corner.

After defending an Arizona State corner kick just before, Utah made its way down the field and earned the team's third corner of the half in the 27th minute. Off the corner from Kennedy Carter, an Arizona State defender got a head on the ball sailing through where it landed to the feet of Courtney Talbot. Talbot booted it right back to the goal and laced the shot to the right corner where Coatney got a header on it, deflecting and netting the ball to take the 1-0 lead.

Following Utah's goal, the two squads battled it out as neither team could get within striking distance for about 15 minutes despite each team getting another corner kick. Arizona State got its best look of the half and first shot on goal when the Sun Devils' Williams dribbled up the right side and took a rip, but SJ Edwards was there to make the diving save.

After the time ran down, Utah went to halftime leading 1-0 after Coatney's lone goal of the match. The start of the second half was just as defense-driven as the first half was after Utah did not let up a shot on goal until nearly 30 minutes through the half.

Offensively, Utah got a pair of looks after Eden Jacobsen got the Arizona State goalkeeper to deflect her shot out of bounds, resulting in a Utah corner kick. Off the corner, it was Talbot once again with a rebound off a header, but this time sailed it outside right.

Coatney got another look in the 72nd minute, but her shot to the top right was saved. With the match on the line, the Sun Devils picked up the pace and applied the pressure to the Ute defense that had been so secure all night. In the final 15 minutes, Arizona State got off six shots, including four shots on goal in the final 11 minutes.

Edwards was there time and time again when it mattered most, coming up big down the stretch. Edwards had a big save in the 80' when a cutting Sun Devil received the ball on a breakaway, as well as two saves in the final three minutes. She stopped a header from being netted in the 87', along with a last-chance effort with 30 seconds remaining in the match to save the game for Utah.

Despite just three shot attempts in the second half, Utah held on for the win and shutout over the 17th-ranked Sun Devils. Utah totaled six shots, four on goal, while Arizona State collected 11 shots and six on goal. Utah also tallied eight corner kicks in the match.

Coatney recorded her first goal of her career, while Talbot recorded her fifth assist on the year. Lastly, Edwards tied a career-best with six saves.

Utah will celebrate senior day this Sunday against Arizona at Ute Field. Kickoff for the Utes and Wildcats will begin at 1 p.m. MT.