Utah Women's Tennis Falls To No. 36 Arizona State in Tempe
TEMPE, Ariz. – The Utah women's tennis team had a tough opening to their road trip Friday afternoon, falling to No. 36 Arizona State 4-0. The Utes fell behind early from doubles play and could not change the momentum enough to get the match locked down.
"We didn't execute the way we needed to throughout the entire lineup to be successful today," said head coach Ric Mortera. " We had some bright spots, but that is not enough to come through playing out here. We are looking to make some immediate adjustments and come ready to go tomorrow."
Utah dropped the doubles point to begin the day after falling on courts two and three. Trying to change momentum in singles, Arizona State would not allow it and took all but one opening set to begin. Lindsay Hung picked up a first set win of 6-3 as Utah needed to bounce back as a unit heading into the second.
Madeline Lamoreaux suffered the first loss after the Sun Devils' Hattingh took the 6-2, 6-2 win on court one. Not too long after, Olivia Mikkelson fell on court six 6-0, 6-1. Utah put up a fight on courts two, three and five, but it went unfinished as Goncharova's match on court four ended and the match-clinching point was earned by Arizona State.
Utah will close out its trip in the desert tomorrow taking on the Arizona Wildcats in Tucson, Ariz. The Utes and Wildcats will have the first serve come at 1 p.m. MT.
#36 Arizona State 4, Utah 0
1. Hattingh,Ilze (ASU) def. Madeline Lamoreaux (UTAH) 6-2, 6-2
2. Hampton,Sammi (ASU) vs. Emily Dush (UTAH) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
3. John-Baptiste,Lauryn (ASU) vs. Lindsay Hung (UTAH) 3-6, 3-1, unfinished
4. Morlet,Giulia (ASU) def. Anastasia Goncharova (UTAH) 6-0, 6-2
5. Argyrokastriti,M (ASU) vs. Anya Lamoreaux (UTAH) 6-1, 3-2, unfinished
6. Turkovic,Domenika (ASU) def. Olivia Mikkelson (UTAH) 6-0, 6-1
1. Hattingh,Ilze/John-Baptiste,Lauryn (ASU) vs. Anastasia Goncharova/Emily Dush (UTAH) 5-0, unfinished
2. Hampton,Sammi/Argyrokastriti,M (ASU) def. Anya Lamoreaux/Madeline Lamoreaux (UTAH) 6-2
3. Kolarova,Tereza/Morlet,Giulia (ASU) def. Lindsay Hung/Jasmine Rich (UTAH) 6-1