Beavers Lose Series Finale In 11 Innings
EUGENE, Ore. – Oregon State dropped the series finale at Oregon, 5-4, in 11 innings Sunday afternoon at PK Park in Eugene.
Oregon, which had trailed 4-1 through 7 ½ innings, scored the game-winner with two down on a ground ball to short that was bobbled before the throw to first was late.
The Rivalry Series is presented by Safeway-Albertsons, Spirit Mountain Casino, PacificSource Health Plans, Your Local Toyota Dealers and First Interstate Bank.
Ryan Ober went 3-for-6 to pace the Beavers, who tallied eight hits overall and held a 4-1 lead after a three-run seventh inning. Ober drove in the Beavers' last run on a single. He finished with two RBI after also singling home a run in the third.
The Beavers went up 2-1 via an RBI single by Wade Meckler, then 3-1 when Preston Jones reached on a bunt.
Oregon scored its first run in the fourth, then tied the game in the eighth on a single, a bases-loaded walk and a bases-loaded hit by pitch.
Jake Mulholland took the loss after scattering two hits and an unearned run in 3 1/3 innings. He is 1-1 this season.
The win went to Decker Stedman, who pitched a scoreless 11th for Oregon. He is 2-0 on the year.
Will Frisch started for the Beavers, allowing three hits and a run in five innings. His counterpart, Oregon starter Brett Walker, allowed five hits and four runs in 6 2/3 innings.
Oregon State returns home Friday to start a three-game series with California at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field. First pitch in the opener is slated for 5:35 p.m. PT.
Follow The Game
Oregon State will provide a live stream for the series; visit osubeavers.com for the live video direct link. Live stats, info on the Beaver Sports Network and TuneIn and more can also be found by visiting osubeavers.com.
- Ryan Ober finished with his ninth multiple-hit game of the season, which is good for third on the team.
- Both of Ober's RBI came with two outs. He has 13 two-out RBI on the season.
- Oregon State's three-run seventh inning gives the Beavers 18 runs in the frame this season.
- Jack Washburn struck out four and walked two in 2 1/3 innings. The righty has struck out 32 to eight walks in 22 innings this season. Opponents have just nine hits against him.
- Sunday's outing marked the first multiple-inning appearance for Jake Mulholland this season. He has now made 104 relief appearances all-time, and has gone more than an inning in 43 of them.
- The Beavers played their first extra-inning game since April 27, 2019 when defeating Washington State, 4-3, in 16 innings. It's the first on the road since April 23, 2019 at Nevada.
Follow Us On Social
For more information on the Oregon State baseball team, follow the club's official Twitter account at Twitter.com/BeaverBaseball, by Facebook at Facebook.com/OregonStateBaseball or on Instagram at Instagram.com/BeaverBaseball.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).