Gameday: Baseball at Oregon (4/11/21)
GAME 31: Oregon State (21-9, 7-4) vs. Oregon (18-7, 5-3)
April 11, 2021 • 4:05 p.m. PT • Eugene, Ore. • PK Park
TBA vs. RHP Brett Walker (4-1, 3.41)
Oregon State concludes its three-game series at Oregon Sunday afternoon at PK Park in Eugene. First pitch is slated for 4:05 p.m. PT. The Rivalry Series is presented by Safeway-Albertsons, Spirit Mountain Casino, PacificSource Health Plans, Your Local Toyota Dealers and First Interstate Bank.
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), Rip City Radio 620-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the TuneIn application, which is available for smartphones and tablets (search Beaver Sports Network).
The game will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Networks with Rich Burk calling the action.
Subscribers to the Pac-12 Networks can watch the game online at pac-12.com or by using the Pac-12 Now app on smartphones and tablets.
A live video stream, produced by Oregon State, will be available. Visit the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com for a link.
Jake Dukart drove in Oregon State's lone run of the game in the third inning in the Beavers' 5-1 loss at Oregon Saturday night at PK Park in Eugene. Dukart pushed Wade Meckler in from third after the latter had doubled to open the inning, then moved to third on a groundout. Cooper Hjerpe scattered five hits and three runs in five innings; he took the loss to drop to 2-3 this season.
• Cooper Hjerpe kept Oregon scoreless in the first on Saturday.
• As a team, OSU has allowed 15 hits and five runs – four earned – in the first.
• The staff has walked 11 and struck out 41 in 30 innings. The combined ERA is 1.20.
Limiting Extra Bases
• The series finale features the Pac-12's two toughest teams to get an extra-base hit off.
• Both teams have allowed just 44 extra-base hits this season. They're the only two teams in the conference below 50.
• Both OSU and UO doubled once Saturday.
• OSU has allowed those 44 extra-base hits in 45 more innings.
Big Outing For Verburg
• Mitchell Verburg faced seven batters in 2 1/3 innings on Saturday, striking out five.
• He struck out the first four batters he faced after he entered in the sixth inning.
• It marked his fourth career outing with four or more strikeouts.
• It was Verburg's first outing at PK Park since helping the Beavers to a clinch of the 2017 Pac-12 title on May 12 of that year. He earned a save in that game.
• Jacob Melton led off for the first time this season on Saturday. Melton has also batted in the second, fifth, seventh, eighth and ninth spots of the lineup.
• Jake Dukart's single in the third Saturday pushed him to at least one hit in five of his last seven games.
• The teams have combined for just 20 hits over the first two games; each has 10. Five of the 20 have gone for extra bases.
• Oregon State leads the Pac-12 with a 2.52 ERA.