Huskies Drop 5-0, 3-2 Duals To UCLA, ASU
PHOENIX, Ariz. – Washington beach volleyball showed improvement from one day ago, as well as over two weeks ago, in dual matches against No. 1-ranked UCLA and Arizona State, but was unable to come out with a win as the Pac-12 North Invitational wrapped up. The top two Husky pairs of Shayne McPherson/Chloe Loreen and Natalie Robinson/Avie Niece both had wins against ASU and both gave their UCLA significant problems.
The Huskies went up against the top-ranked Bruins to start the day, and kept things closer than in Saturday's loss to No. 2 USC. Robinson and Niece won the first set against UCLA's No. 2 team of Monkhouse and Van Winkle, 23-21. The pair, playing just their second match together, were on the verge of a win as the second set also went to extra points, but UCLA pulled it out, 23-21 in its direction, and then won the third set, 15-8.
Shayne digging dimes, Chloe sets her up for the ??
— Washington Beach Volleyball (@UW_BeachVB) April 11, 2021
McPherson and Loreen also took the No. 1 UCLA team of Denaburg/Simo to extra points in the first set, but the Bruins held on, 24-22, and then had a 21-16 second set win. Cassidy Schilling and Callie Weber also worked their way into their second set at No. 5 against Powers/Whitmarsh, but lost a 21-9, 21-18 decision.
Next up against the Sun Devils, McPherson and Loreen were the first to finish, as they defeated Carballo/Sweeney at No. 1, 21-18, 21-12, improving 5-3 in dual play. Niece and Robinson continued their strong play and earned their first win at the No. 2 spot, 21-19, 21-13, over Anderson/Fitzgerald.
But Arizona State got wins at three, four, and five to defeat the Huskies for the second time this season. The first one was a 4-1 decision in ASU's favor, so the Dawgs are closing the gap.
Washington Beach Volleyball
April 11, 2021
Pac-12 North Invitational | Phoenix, Ariz.
Grand Canyon University
Washington – 0
#1 UCLA – 5
1. Denaburg/Simo (UCLA) def. McPherson/Loreen (UW) – 24-22, 21-16
2. Monkhouse/Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Robinson/Niece (UW) – 21-23, 23-21, 15-8
3. Newberry/Sparks (UCLA) def. Dahl/Shook (UW) – 21-11, 21-12
4. Muret/Quade (UCLA) def. Petersen/Yerex (UW) – 21-13, 21-11
5. Powers/Whitmarsh (UCLA) def. Schilling/Weber (UW) – 21-9, 21-18
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 5, 1, 2
Washington – 2
Arizona State – 3
1. McPherson/Loreen (UW) def. Carballo/Sweeney (ASU) – 21-18, 21-12
2. Niece/Robinson (UW) def. Anderson/Fitzgerald (ASU) – 21-19, 21-13
3. Flood/Waters (ASU) def. Dahl/Shook (UW) – 21-8, 21-13
4. Bordis/Plaster (ASU) def. Petersen/Yerex (UW) – 21-13, 21-12
5. Ames/Weintraub (ASU) def. Schilling/Weber (UW) – 21-19, 21-11
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 3, 5, 2