East Bay Clash
BERKELEY – California begins its third consecutive four-game week with a non-conference battle against Saint Mary's Tuesday at Louis Guisto Field in Moraga, California. First pitch is slated for 3 p.m. (PDT) on the WCC Network.
The Golden Bears (17-13) and Gaels (14-15) are plenty familiar with one another, having already played a four-game split series against one another on March 4-7. Cal took three of four against the Gaels in the series.
Cal is coming off of a series loss at No. 22 Arizona this past weekend. Despite outscoring the Wildcats 13-10 across the series, Cal dropped games one and two before delivering a convincing 9-1 win in the series finale Sunday. It was the Bears' first series loss since the opening weekend of the season against Pacific (Feb. 19-22). Saint Mary's has lost seven of 10, including two of three at Gonzaga last weekend.
- Matchup: Cal (17-13) at Saint Mary's (14-15)
- Location: Louis Guisto Field | Moraga, California
- First pitch: 3 p.m. PDT
- Watch: WCC Network
- Live Stats: CalBears.com
- Projected starter: RHP Steven Zobac (2-0, 0.75 ERA)
- Tuesday's clash between Cal and Saint Mary's is the fifth of six games between the East Bay neighbors. The Bears won three of four against the Gaels on March 4-7, winning games one (16-3), two (2-1, 11 innings) and three (4-2) before dropping tine series finale (8-3).
- Cal is seeking its first Tuesday win of the season. The Bears have lost consecutive midweek games at San Jose State and Stanford.
- Tuesday's game at Saint Mary's is the fifth of eight consecutive road games for Cal. The Bears are 5-9 on the road.
- The Bears' pitching staff held a potent Arizona offense to just 10 runs scored last weekend. The Wildcats entered the series averaging 9.1 runs per game. Paulshawn Pasqualotto and Nick Proctor held Arizona to its lowest-scoring game of the season in a 9-1 win Sunday.
- Cal is 22nd nationally and second in the Pac-12 with 3.18 walks allowed per nine innings. The Bears have issued three walks or less in 21 of 30 games played this season.
- Cal is 15-1 when scoring first and 9-3 when scoring in the first inning. When leading or tied after seven innings played, Cal is 15-0.
- Cal ranks second in the Pac-12 with 30 home runs. Dylan Beavers (9) leads a group of seven Bears who have hit multiple long balls.
- Darren Baker is doing it all for Cal in the leadoff slot and at second base. He has a 35-game reached-base streak, ranks 16th nationally with 14 stolen bases and leads the Pac-12 with 103 defensive assists.
- Nathan Manning's .436 batting average ranks atop the Pac-12. He was not eligible to be ranked until having played in 75 percent of Cal's games this season, which he achieved last weekend at Arizona.
- Josh White owns the Pac-12's second-best ERA (1.85). In 34.0 innings pitched, White has a 43-to-8 strikeout-to-walk ratio.