No. 16 Cal Battles No. 26 Stanford In Regular-Season Finale
BERKELEY – Sixteenth-ranked California women's tennis concludes the regular season when the Golden Bears battle No. 26 Stanford on Friday at 1:30 p.m. on the Farm.
After splitting with USC and UCLA last week, he Golden Bears bring a 14-5 record (7-2 Pac-12) into the conference clash with the Cardinal (12-3, 7-2 Pac-12).
Last Time: Bears Best Trojans, Fall To Bruins
Cal defeated No. 32 USC, 4-3, on April 9 and lost to No. 7 UCLA, 7-0, on April 10 in Los Angeles.
Freshman Hannah Viller Moeller clinched her fourth Cal victory against the Trojans, beating Summer Dvorak, 6-4, 6-0, at court-five singles. The Dane also paired with Cal senior Anna Bright to clinch the doubles point by topping Salma Ewing and Clare McKee, 7-6(5), on court two.
Against the Bruins, Jada Bui and Erin Richardson beat Elysia Bolton and Taylor Johnson, 6-4, at court-three doubles.
Cal remains at No. 16 in Wednesday's Tennis Channel/USTA Top 25 and is ranked No. 22 in the Oracle ITA coaches' poll as well as No. 25 in the Oracle ITA computerized rankings. Cal sophomore Haley Giavara, an All-American as a freshman, is ranked 58th in singles. She has a 10-8 record.
- The Bears' doubles pair of Haley Giavara and Valentina Ivanov had a notable win this year when it upset Elysia Bolton and Jada Hart – who were then-ranked No. 1 – 6-4 on Feb. 20.
- Ivanov and Giavara have a 9-5 record.
- Senior Julia Rosenqvist has an 11-7 singles record including a 7-4 Pac-12 mark.
- Ivanov, a sophomore, has a 10-7 singles record, including 9-5 at court three.
- Senior Anna Bright has won 11 of her last 13 singles matches and is 14-3 overall.
- The court-two doubles team of Bright and Viller Moeller is 10-5.
- Former two-time NCAA doubles champion Amanda Augustus is in her 14th year as head coach at her alma mater.
- The Cardinal defeated Hawaii, 4-0, on Tuesday, April 13 in its last match.
- Stanford also lost at UCLA, 7-0, on April 9 and won at USC, 6-1, on April 10.
- Michaela Gordon (8-4) is ranked 41st in singles.
- Lele Forood is in her 21st season as head coach at Stanford.
Giavara Named March 23 Pac-12 Player Of The Week
Haley Giavara earned the Pac-12 Player of the Week honor on March 23 after the Cal star led the Golden Bears to a sweep of Arizona and No. 25 Arizona State in Berkeley.
This marks the first career weekly conference accolade for the San Diego product. It is also Cal's second Pac-12 honor of 2021, with Valentina Ivanov claiming the award on Feb. 23.
In Cal's 7-0 rout of the Wildcats on March 19, the 18th-ranked Giavara defeated Jelena Lukic, 7-5, 7-6(5), at court-one singles. Earlier, the 40th-ranked pair of Giavara and Ivanov beat Lukic and Khim Iglupas, 6-2, to help the Bears claim the doubles point.
On March 20, Giavara bested ASU's 37th-ranked Ilze Hattingh, 6-3, 6-2, as Cal cruised to a 6-1 victory over the Sun Devils.
Cal plays in the Pac-12 Championship scheduled for April 23-26 at the Barnes Tennis Center in San Diego.