Utah Tennis Defeats USF 6-1
Salt Lake City – After ceding the doubles point against the San Francisco Dons today, the Utah Men's Tennis team took the lead in singles, winning every match for the 6-1 victory.
During doubles play, the Utes held up in some challenging matches. On court two, Luis Flores and Franco Capalbo downed the San Francisco duo 6-1. Soon after, the Dons took the upper hand on court three, where Geronimo Busleiman and Mathias Gavelin fell short 6-4. The point was to be decided on court one, where Francisco Bastias and Slava Shainyan held their ground, but ultimately fell 6-4, awarding San Francisco with the first match point.
Singles play started off strong in Utah's favor. On court one, Capalbo defeated SFU's Ricklis 6-0, 6-1, giving the Utes their first point. Utah's second point came on court two, where Shainyan also downed his opposition 6-4, 6-2. On court six, Bruno Krenn took the upper hand against San Francisco's Johnson, winning his match 6-3, 6-2.
The match point came on court four, where Bastias turned the tide in his favor to defeat the opponent, 6-0, 6-4. On court three, Busleiman took the victory in his match, winning 6-1, 7-6 (7-3) and awarding the Utes with their fifth point. The final point came from court five, where Gavelin took the victory after three tough sets, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2.
The Utes will be facing in-state rival BYU on Saturday, Apr. 17 at the Outdoor Tennis Courts in Provo. The first serve will take place at 2 p.m. MT.
UTAH 6, SFU 1
1. Franco Capalbo (UTAH) def. Nitzan Ricklis (SFU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) def. Paul Giraud (SFU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Geronimo Busleiman (UTAH) def. Phuc Huynh (SFU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Francisco Bastias (UTAH) def. Ori Maior (SFU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. Stevie Gould (SFU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Bruno Krenn (UTAH) def. Mitch Johnson (SFU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Paul Giraud/Ori Maior (SFU) def. Francsico Bastias/Slava Shainyan (UTAH) 6-4
2. Luis Flores/Franco Capalbo (UTAH) def. Phuc Huynh/Stevie Gould (SFU) 6-1
3. Nitzan Ricklis/Johan Garpered (SFU) def. Geronimo Buslieman/Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) 6-4