Bruins Beat SC, Celebrate Perfect Pac-12 Season
LOS ANGELES – The No. 8/6 UCLA women's tennis team put a bow on its undefeated Pac-12 regular season, dispatching of No. 36/32 USC by a 4-0 score Friday afternoon at Los Angeles Tennis Center.
The Bruins (17-3, 10-0 in Pac-12 play) honored their seniors prior to the match and proceeded to record a clean sweep in doubles action. Abbey Forbes clinched the victory, following Elysia Bolton and Sasha Vagramov in posting winning singles efforts. The Trojans (11-9, 5-5) suffered their first shutout loss of the season.
Playing together for the first time on the college level, Forbes and Vanessa Ong gave UCLA an early edge in doubles play with a 6-1 result against Summer Dvorak and Danielle Wilson on Court 3. Annette Goulak and Vivian Wolff needed to mount a comeback on Court 2, ultimately closing out Constance Branstine and Salma Ewing by a 6-4 margin. Finally, making their first appearance as a combination since Feb. 26, Bolton and Jada Hart outlasted Eryn Cayetano and Angela Kulikov, 7-5, to complete the sweep.
Singles play saw No. 124 Bolton race out to a 6-0 first set. She was nearly perfect in the second, as well, cruising to a 6-0, 6-2 win. Since returning to the singles lineup April 9, Bolton is 4-0. She is 8-1 on the season.
Vagramov was next to finish, continuing her stellar play against the crosstown rivals. With her 6-3, 6-0 triumph over Constance Branstine on Court 5, Vagramov improved to 3-0 in three career matches against USC counterparts. She turned in the deciding point in the previous two.
This time, it was No. 7 Forbes, who collected win No. 13 against nationally-ranked opponents, against just one loss. She bested No. 65 Salma Ewing on the top court, 6-2, 6-3, in the latest opportunity. Forbes' first clinching point of the year came on her 14th win in a row.
Graduate student Hart and seniors Goulak, Wolff and Abi Altick were recognized prior to their final regular-season match at LATC.
The Bruins will next head to Barnes Tennis Center in San Diego for the Pac-12 Championships. First-round action begins Friday, April 23 and play continues through Monday, April 26.
Tennis Match Results
USC vs UCLA
4/16/2021 at Los Angeles, CA
(Los Angeles Tennis Center)
#8 UCLA 4, #36 USC 0
1. #7 Abbey Forbes (UCLA) def. #65 Salma Ewing (USC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Jada Hart (UCLA) vs. Eryn Cayetano (USC) 7-6 (8-6), 2-1, unfinished
3. #124 Elysia Bolton (UCLA) def. Danielle Willson (USC) 6-0, 6-2
4. Vivian Wolff (UCLA) vs. Summer Dvorak (USC) 6-3, 5-3, unfinished
5. Sasha Vagramov (UCLA) def. Constance Branstine (USC) 6-3, 6-0
6. Abi Altick (UCLA) vs. Clare McKee (USC) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
1. #85 Elysia Bolton/Jada Hart (UCLA) def. Eryn Cayetano/Angela Kulikov (USC) 7-5
2. Annette Goulak/Vivian Wolff (UCLA) def. Constance Branstine/Salma Ewing (USC) 6-4
3. Abbey Forbes/Vanessa Ong (UCLA) def. Summer Dvorak/Danielle Willson (USC) 6-1
USC 11-9; National ranking #36
UCLA 17-3; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,5,1)