Skip to main content

Men's Soccer Wins 4-3 Double-OT Thriller Over Cal

Apr 17, 2021
Grayson Doody celebrates during UCLA's 4-3 win over Cal on Saturday.

LOS ANGELES - Freshman Tommy Silva punched in the biggest goal of his short UCLA career on Saturday afternoon, scoring with less than 90 seconds left in double-overtime to help the Bruins notch a 4-3 come-from-behind victory over Cal at Wallis Annenberg Stadium.

With a 3-3 tie looming, UCLA's game-winning sequence came in the final two minutes. Sophomore midfielder Riley Ferch gained possession on the Cal side of the field and worked his way toward the middle, eventually playing a perfect through ball to a charging Grayson Doody. With just the keeper to beat, Doody chipped a shot over a sliding Collin Travasos. The ball hit the left post but remained in play, setting off a wild sequence that saw the Bruins get off two more shots before the ball found its way to Silva, who buried a left-footed strike off the post and in, setting off the UCLA celebration.

In addition to the extra time heroics by Silva, the Bruins also needed some late magic in regulation just to get to overtime, as Cal led the game 3-2 with less than five minutes to play. Doody, who would score two goals on the afternoon, got the equalizer at the 85:36 mark after receiving a pass from Ollie de Visser at the top of the box. Doody took a touch before burying a left-footed strike to eventually send the game to overtime.

UCLA's other two goals on the day came in the first half, as both Ferch and Doody helped the Bruins out to a 2-1 lead. After Cal scored in the 23rd minute to go ahead 1-0, Ferch scored a little more than five minutes later on a close-range strike after receiving a beautiful cross from sophomore Constantinos Michaelides.

Doody then gave the Bruins the lead in the 35th minute with help from Ferch, who pounced on a defensive mistake by Cal and sprinted toward the Cal goal. After drawing the attention of two Golden Bear defenders who were closing in, Ferch layed it off to Doody, who was able to finish inside the box.

Saturday marked the final home game for seniors Marcony Pimentel, Aristides Costeas, Ruben Soria and Eirik Baekkelund, who were honored with a special senior ceremony that was conducted at halftime. Former player Cameron Douglas, who was on the team the previous three seasons but was forced to medically retire, was also recognized.

UCLA played the game without its starting goalkeeper Justin Garces, as Garces suffered an injury during warmups. Backup goalkeeper Tyler Kirberg filled in, playing all 110 minutes. He finished the game with a pair of saves.