Men's Tennis Drops Pac-12 Finale at USC
LOS ANGELES – The No. 33/27 UCLA men's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to No. 15/13 USC Saturday afternoon in Pac-12 play at David X. Marks Tennis Stadium.
The Bruins (11-5, 4-3 Pac-12) captured the doubles point, but were unable to achieve the same success on the singles courts. The Trojans (17-6, 5-2) registered straight-set wins on each of the singles courts, with Bradley Frye providing the clinching point.
The pair of Roscoe Bellamy and Mathew Tsolakyan continued to shine for UCLA, overpowering Jake Sands and Lodewijk Weststrate for a 6-1 result on Court 3. Bellamy and Tsolakyan have now won four decisions in a row to improve their record to 4-2. USC would answer on Court 2, where Frye and Stefan Dostanic closed strong against Bryce Pereira and Patrick Zahraj for the 6-3 equalizer. Then, tasked with taking down the nation's No. 5 pair of Daniel Cukierman and Riley Smith, Drew Baird and Govind Nanda did just that. The Bruins forced a tiebreaker and did not let the opportunity go to waste, edging out their counterparts, 8-6.
The Trojans raced out to first-set wins across the singles courts. No. 42 Cukierman accounted for their first point, posting a 6-2, 6-0 victory over No. 62 Nanda on the top court.
Like Cukierman, Westrate was able to avenge an earlier doubles loss in singles play. He dispatched of Bellamy, 6-2, 6-2, giving USC its first lead of the match.
No. 29 Smith bested No. 108 Baird on Court 2, 6-3, 6-4, and Frye followed soon after with the same result against Ben Goldberg on Court 4, clinching the overall win for the Trojans.
With the dual match decided, USC tacked on two more victories. Sands outlasted Tsolakyan, who was looking to force a third set, 6-1, 7-6(2) on Court 5. No. 84 Dostanic was also able to hold off Sam Feit in the second set on Court 4, completing a 6-3, 7-5 win.
UCLA returns to action Wednesday, April 21, when it welcome Pepperdine to Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Bruins' regular-season finale is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m., PT.
Tennis Match Results
UCLA vs USC
4/17/2021 at Los Angeles, CA
(David X. Marks Tennis Stadium)
#15 USC 6, #33 UCLA 1
1. #42 Daniel Cukierman (USC) def. #62 Govind Nanda (UCLA) 6-2, 6-0
2. #29 Riley Smith (USC) def. #108 Drew Baird (UCLA) 6-3, 6-4
3. #84 Stefan Dostanic def. Sam Feit (UCLA) 6-3, 7-5
4. Bradley Frye (USC) def. Ben Goldberg (UCLA) 6-3, 6-4
5. Jake Sands (USC) def. Mathew Tsolakyan (UCLA) 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) def. Roscoe Bellamy (UCLA) 6-2, 6-2
1. Drew Baird/Govind Nanda (UCLA) def. #5 Daniel Cukierman/Riley Smith (USC) 7-6 (8-6)
2. Bradley Frye/Stefan Dostanic (USC) def. Bryce Pereira/Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) 6-3
3. Roscoe Bellamy/Mathew Tsolakyan (UCLA) def. Jake Sands/Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) 6-1
UCLA 11-5; National ranking #33
USC 17-6; National ranking #15
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,6,2,4,5,3)