Utah Tennis Falls 4-1 to BYU
PROVO, Utah – The University of Utah Men's Tennis team had a good start in the match today after securing the doubles point, but fell short during singles play for final score of 4-1 against the BYU Cougars.
During doubles play, the Utes dominated their matches and ultimately won the point, starting on court three with Geronimo Busleiman and Mathias Gavelin earning 6-1 victory over their opponent. It was followed closely by another win from Franco Capalbo and Luis Flores on court two, 6-4 to lock in the first point of the match.
Singles play posed more of a challenge for Utah. The Cougars were able to secure their first point on court five, where Mathias Gavelin fell short 6-2, 6-3 to his opponent. Similarly on court three, Shainyan fell to BYU's Gajardo 6-1, 7-6 (7-2), followed by Capalbo's fall on court one, 6-1, 6-4.
The Cougars obtained the match point on court six, where Matheus Leite took the upper hand over Utah's Bruno Krenn, 7-5, 7-6 (7-4). The matches on courts two and four remained unfinished.
The Utes will face Weber State on Wednedsay, Apr. 23 at 3 p.m. MT at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center to close out the regular season.
BYU 4, UTAH 1
1. Sean Hill (BYU) def. Franco Capalbo (UTAH) 6-1, 6-4
2. Geronimo Busleiman (UTAH) vs. Jack Barnett (BYU) 2-6, 6-4, 3-3 unf.
3. Ben Gajardo (BYU) def. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
4. Francisco Bastias (UTAH) vs. Sam Tullis (BYU) 3-6, 6-4, 1-2 unf.
5. Mateo Melendez (BYU) def. Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) 6-2, 6-3
6. Matheus Leite (BYU) def. Bruno Krenn (UTAH) 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)
1. Francisco Bastias/Slava Shainyan (UTAH) vs. Jack Barnett/Ben Gajardo (BYU) 5-5, unf.
2. Franco Capalbo/Luis Flores (UTAH) def. Sean Hill/Sam Tullis (BYU) 6-4
3. Geronimo Busleiman/Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. Mateo Melendez/Brigham Andrus (BYU) 6-1