Wildcats Sweep Sun Devils on the Road
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Wildcats put on a show on the road to sweep the rival Arizona State Sun Devils by a score of 4-0, beating ASU for the first time since 2006.
Saturday's win gives the Wildcats 18 wins on the season, the most in program history heading into the Pac-12 Championships which begin on April 21. Arizona will enter the Pac-12 Championships as the 2-seed.
The doubles point was a battle with Carlos Hassey and Jonas Ziverts clinching it on court one with assistance by Filip Malbasic and Alejandro Reguant on court two.
The momentum continued into singles play with the two freshman, No. 23 Gustaf Strom and Herman Hoeyeraal polished off their matches in straight sets. No. 85 Jonas Ziverts went down in the first set before roaring back to win the second and third to clinch the match for the Wildcats.
1. Hassey/Ziverts def. Ponwith/Reuhl 7-6
2. Malbasic/Reguant def. Stoupe/Rakotomalala 6-4
3. McKennon/Lerby def. Hoeyeraal/Lagaev 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. No. 23 Gustaf Strom def. No. 115 Nathan Ponwith 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 85 Jonas Ziverts def. Makey Rakotomalala 6-7, 6-3, 6-3
3. Filip Malbasic vs. Tim Reuhl 7-5, 4-6, 3-2 unf.
4. Alejandro Reguant vs. George Stoupe 6-7, 6-3, 1-0 unf.
5. Carlos Hassey vs. Max McKennon 6-3, 6-7, 2-3 unf.
6. Herman Hoeyeraal def. Christian Lerby 7-5, 6-4
Order of finish: 6, 1, 2