Huskies Fall To No. 24 Stanford
SEATTLE – The Washington men's tennis squad fell to No. 24 Stanford, 7-0, on Sunday afternoon to end the Pac-12 regular season as well as the Husky home slate. The Dawgs will head into the Pac-12 Championships next week with a 10-10 overall record.
Seniors Thibault Cancel and Alexis Alvarez were recognized before the match. "I'm disappointed in a loss, but very happy how Thibault and Alexis competed today as our seniors," said Head Coach Matt Anger. "Thibault was really sharp in doubles play. Alexis was sharp, he hasn't played a lot but we had him there in singles. I was happy to see him out there and competing hard."
— Washington Men's Tennis (@UW_MTennis) April 18, 2021
At No. 2 doubles, Cancel and Clement Chidekh were up 5-4 and had one more serve to take their court. But Stanford clinched the doubles point with a 6-3 win at the No. 1 spot following a 6-0 No. 3 doubles win before Chidekh and Cancel could finish their match.
"It was a great day, but I'm looking at some of the missed opportunities," said Anger. "I'd like to see what would have happened if we took advantage of those opportunities."
In singles, sophomores Ewen Lumsden and Jack Pulliam each won their second sets, and the Huskies had several other close calls but couldn't cash in. Taking on 36th-ranked Arthur Fery at No. 2, Lumsden won the second set, 6-4, after dropping the first set, 6-2, and nearly completed the upset before falling in the third, 7-5. The Cardinal had already clinched the team victory with wins in the Nos. 3, 6, 4, and 1 spot. Jack Pulliam battled back taking his second set in a tiebreak to force a third-set super-tiebreak, but he lost that one, 10-4, to Timothy Sah.
Washington heads to San Diego this weekend for Pac-12 Championships. First round is on Friday, April 23.
Washington Men's Tennis
April 18, 2021
Quillian Tennis Stadium | Seattle, WA
1. (#89) Axel Geller (Stan) def. (#110) Clement Chidekh (UW) - 6-3, 7-6
2. (#36) Arthur Fery (Stan) def. Ewen Lumsden (UW) - 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
3. Alexandre Rotsaert (Stan) def. Jack Davis (UW) - 6-2, 6-3
4. Tristan Boyer (Stan) def. Han-Chih Lin (UW) - 7-5, 6-2
5. Timothy Sah (Stan) def. Jack Pulliam (UW) - 6-3, 6-7 (10-4)
6. Neel Rajesh (Stan) def. Alexis Alvarez (UW) - 7-5, 6-1
Finish: 3, 6, 4, 1, 5, 2
1. Geller/Kopeszinsk def. Alvarez/Davis - 6-3
2. Cancel/Chidekh vs. Boyer/Sah - 5-4, DNF
3. Fery/Rotsaert def. Lin/Lumsden - 6-0
Finish: 3, 1, 2