Wildcats Top Cougars for Fourth Straight Pac-12 Series Win
PULLMAN, Wash. — The Arizona Wildcats (23-11, 9-6) blasted four home runs and benefited from strong bullpen pitching to top the Washington State Cougars (17-14, 5-10) by a final score of 14-8 on Sunday afternoon.
The game three victory secured a fourth straight Pac-12 series win for the Cats, sending them back home to Tucson with a conference record of 9-6 at the midway point in Pac-12 play.
Freshman Jacob Berry was one of three Arizona batters with three RBI on the day - he got there with a 3-for-6 performance that included four runs, a double, and two home runs. Donta Williams and Ryan Holgate also homered and drove in three each.
Starting pitcher Austin Smith made his first career start at Arizona and worked 2.0 innings, allowing one unearned run on three hits with two strikeouts. He did not factor into the decision.
Right-handers Chandler Murphy (3.1 IP), Dawson Netz (1.0 IP), and Vince Vannelle (1.1 IP) combined for 5.2 innings of scoreless relief and struck out eight. Murphy earned the win to move to 4-0 on the year and Vannelle picked up his team-leading fifth save.
- 3B Jacob Berry: 3-for-6, 4 R, 2B, 2 HR, 3 RBI
- CF Donta Williams: 2-for-6, 2 R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI
- DH Ryan Holgate: 2-for-5, 2 R, HR, 3 RBI
- 2B Kobe Kato: 4-for-5, 2 R, RBI, BB
- C Daniel Susac: 3-for-6, 2 R
- RHP Chandler Murphy: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 5 K, Win (4-0)
- RHP Dawson Netz: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 K
- RHP Vince Vannelle: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 K, Save (5)
Number of the Night
- With Sunday's win, the Wildcats have now won four straight Pac-12 series and seven of their last eight conference series dating back to 2019.
Tweet of the Night
You just got DONTA WILLIAMS'D!!!
Tag your friends to totally DONTA WILLIAMS them! pic.twitter.com/XBgNlrOxzX
— Arizona Baseball (@ArizonaBaseball) April 18, 2021
Arizona returns home to kick off an eight-game home stand, beginning with a matchup with New Mexico State on Tuesday, April 20. First pitch is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. MST.