Wildcats Roll Aggies, 11-4
TUCSON, Ariz. — The Arizona Wildcats (24-11) picked up their third straight win on Tuesday night, an 11-4 victory over the New Mexico State Aggies (11-22).
The Aggies took an early 2-0 lead after the first inning, but the Wildcats responded with a four-run second to take a lead they would never surrender. They broke the game open with a six-run bottom of the fourth to make the score 10-3 and traded one run down the stretch to create the final margin.
Arizona's bullpen was the story of the night; four Wildcat relievers combined to allow just two unearned runs on six hits while striking out 15 Aggies. Left-hander Randy Abshier (2-0) relieved TJ Nichols in the first inning and tossed 2.2 shutout frames to earn the win.
Fellow southpaw Gil Luna contributed 2.0 innings and gave up just one unearned run on one hit, fanning five along the way. He has now worked 7.2 consecutive relief innings without allowing an earned run in the last 10 days.
- DH Jacob Berry: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, 2 RBI
- 3B Nik McClaughry: 2-for-4, 2 R, 3 RBI
- LF Mac Bingham: 3-for-5, 2B, 2 RBI
- C Daniel Susac: 2-for-4, R, 2B, 2 RBI
- 1B Branden Boissiere: 3-for-5, 2 R, RBI
- LHP Randy Abshier: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 4 K
- RHP Dawson Netz: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
- LHP Gil Luna: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 4 K
- RHP George Arias Jr.: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 K
Numbers of the Night
- The Arizona bullpen combined to hold the Aggies to zero earned runs and struck out 14.
Photo of the Night
Tweet of the Night
— Arizona Baseball (@ArizonaBaseball) April 20, 2021
The Wildcats welcome the USC Trojans to Tucson for a three-game Pac-12 Conference series. Game one is set for Friday night with a first pitch at 6:00 p.m. MST.