Men's Tennis Blanks Pepperdine in Regular-Season Finale
LOS ANGELES – The No. 28/27 UCLA men's tennis team made a statement in its final match of the regular season, defeating No. 30 Pepperdine by a 4-0 score Wednesday afternoon at Los Angeles Tennis Center.
The Bruins (12-5, 4-3 in Pac-12 play), who honored seven student-athletes making their last home appearance after the contest, received the clinching point from graduate student Sam Feit. Roscoe Bellamy and Govind Nanda were also victorious on the singles courts. The Waves (13-6, 6-0 WCC) had won 10 of 11 matches and had not been shut out since their season opener Jan. 23.
Nanda and Drew Baird, who climbed to No. 68 in the Oracle ITA doubles rankings earlier Wednesday, dealt Guy Den Ouden and Adrian Oetzbach a 6-2 loss on the top court to get UCLA off on the right foot. Baird and Nanda have logged four wins in a row. With Pepperdine nearing a victory on the third court, Bryce Pereira and Patrick Zahraj secured the initial point for the Bruins on Court 2. Pereira, a senior, and Zahraj, who were partners throughout the duration of the shortened 2020 dual-match season, registered a 6-4 decision against Corrado Summaria and Tim Zeitvogel for their first victory of 2021.
The teams split first sets, with three of them decided by tiebreakers. Senior Ben Goldberg of UCLA, whose match was ultimately left unfinished, dropped a 16-14 decision in his on Court 3.
No. 74 Nanda was first off the singles courts, recording a 6-2, 6-4 win over Den Ouden. The win represents the fifth in six tries for Nanda and the second of his season on the top court.
Roscoe Bellamy also continued his standout play of late, knocking off Robert Shelton on Court 6 by a 7-6(3), 6-4 score. Bellamy, who is 6-2 on the campaign, has taken five of his last six decisions.
Feit, who joined the program during the summer of 2020, also rode his first-set tiebreaker to victory. His 7-6(3), 6-4 win over Summaria on Court 3 came on the heels of Bellamy's and marked the Gonzaga transfer's third decider of the season. Feit's nine singles wins rank second on the team.
In addition to Feit, Goldberg and Pereira, Lucas Bellamy, Connor Hance, Connor Rapp and Keegan Smith were recognized for their accomplishments on and off the court.
UCLA begins play at the 2021 Pac-12 Tennis Championship Saturday, when the fourth-seeded Bruins meet No. 5-seed Arizona State in San Diego. First serve is set for 3 p.m., PT. Play from the Barnes Tennis Center continues through Monday.
Tennis Match Results
Pepperdine vs UCLA
4/21/2021 at Los Angeles, CA
(Los Angeles Tennis Center)
#28 UCLA 4, #30 Pepperdine 0
1. #74 Govind Nanda (UCLA) def. Guy Den Ouden (PEPP) 6-2, 6-4
2. #115 Drew Baird (UCLA) vs. #113 Adrian Oetzbach (PEPP) 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 0-2, unfinished
3. Ben Goldberg (UCLA) vs. Daniel De Jonge (PEPP) 6-7 (14-16), 2-5, unfinished
4. Sam Feit (UCLA) def. Corrado Summaria (PEPP) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
5. Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) vs. Tim Zeitvogel (PEPP) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0, unfinished
6. Roscoe Bellamy (UCLA) def. Robert Shelton (PEPP) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
1. #68 Drew Baird/Govind Nanda (UCLA) def. Guy Den Ouden/Adrian Oetzbach (PEPP) 6-2
2. Bryce Pereira/Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) def. Corrado Summaria/Tim Zeitvogel (PEPP) 6-4
3. Roscoe Bellamy/Mathew Tsolakyan (UCLA) vs. Daniel De Jonge/Pietro Fellin (PEPP) 4-5, unfinished
Pepperdine 13-6; National ranking #30
UCLA 12-5; National ranking #28
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,6,4)