Baseball Starts 8-Game Trek With 3 At UC Irvine
GAME 36: Oregon State (25-10) vs. UC Irvine (22-11)
April 23, 2021 • 3:00 p.m. PT • Irvine, Calif. • Cicerone Field at Anteater Ballpark
RHP Kevin Abel (3-3, 3.09) vs. RHP Trenton Denholm (3-1, 3.98)
Oregon State opens a three-game non-conference series with UC Irvine on Friday. First pitch at Cicerone Field at Anteater Ballpark is slated for 3 p.m. PT.
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), Rip City Radio 620-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the TuneIn application, which is available for smartphones and tablets (search Beaver Sports Network).
The game will not be broadcast.
The game can also be found online by visiting OSUBeavers.com; click on the schedule link for a direct link to live video.
A live video stream, produced by Oregon State, will be available. Visit the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com for a link.
Matthew Gretler hit his first home run of the season and Greg Fuchs recorded a career-high three hits to pace Oregon State to an 11-3 win over Portland Tuesday night in Corvallis. Joe Casey drove in three runs for the Beavers, who won their 14th consecutive game versus the Pilots in Corvallis. Nathan Burns earned the win after striking out three in 2 1/3 innings of scoreless relief.
Against UC Irvine
• Friday's opener marks just the sixth all-time meeting between the teams. UC Irvine holds a slim 3-2 advantage in the all-time series.
• The meeting is the first in Irvine.
• The clubs last met at the 2014 Corvallis Regional, where the Anteaters went 2-1 to advance to an NCAA Super Regional.
• The Beavers defeated UC Irvine, 7-1, in the 2007 College World Series. The win advanced OSU to the CWS Finals where the Beavers swept North Carolina.
• Mitch Canham and Darwin Barney both went 3-for-5 in the 2007 win over UC Irvine. Canham hit a home run and drove in three while Barney drove in two.
On The Road
• Oregon State's opener Friday is the first of eight straight on the road for the Beavers, who take an 11-4 record away from Goss Stadium with them.
• OSU is batting .297 in those 15 games, totaling 15 home runs with 34 doubles and six triples.
• On the mound, the Beavers sport a 2.07 ERA, allowing just 31 earned runs in 134 2/3 innings. OSU has allowed just 77 hits and 45 walks while striking out 152.
• OSU's starting pitchers have allowed just 17 earned runs (1.99 ERA) and 45 hits in 77 innings away from home.
• With Greg Fuchs' first career multi-hit game Tuesday, the Beavers now have 16 players who have at least one such effort this season.
• Matthew Gretler's home run Tuesday gives the Beavers 12 players with at least one.
• OSU is 23-0 when taking a lead into the ninth inning.
• OSU is on a four-game win streak, its third of four or more this season. The Beavers' other streaks have been for 10 and seven games, respectively.
• Jake Mulholland needs one save to tie Oregon's Jimmie Sherfy for third-most all-time in Pac-12 history. Mulholland is at an Oregon State-record 39.
• Andy Armstrong takes a four-game hit streak on the road.
• OSU is 18-3 when scoring first.