No. 2 UCLA Drops Regular Season Finale to No. 1 USC
LOS ANGELES -- No. 2 UCLA (24-3) saw its undefeated 16-match winning streak at home in Mapes Beach come to an end on Thursday as top-ranked USC (23-2) defeated the Bruins 3-2 in the regular season finale for both teams. With the loss, the Bruins fall to 11-15 all-time against the Trojans.
The Trojans took a 1-0 lead on court four when Joy Dennis and Delaynie Maple defeated Cami Sanchez and Jacqueline Quade in two tight sets 21-19, 21-18.
USC went up 2-0 on court two as Hailey Harward and Megan Kraft defeated Lea Monkhouse and Devon Newberry in another tight affair 21-19, 23-21.
The Bruins got on the board when court three's duo of Abby Van Winkle and Megan Muret took down Paige Dreeuws and Haley Hallgren in a three-set thriller 21-16, 10-21, 15-11.
UCLA's top pair of Lexy Denaburg and Savvy Simo then tied the dual at 2-2 in straight sets over USC's Julia Scoles and Sammy Slater 21-19, 23-21.
It all came down to the result on court five where the Bruins' duo of Rileigh Powers and Jaden Whitmarsh forced a third set, but ultimately fell to Audrey and Nicole Nourse 21-19, 16-21, 15-13.
UCLA will begin the postseason by hosting the Pac-12 Championship at Mapes Beach (April 29-May 1). While no fans or family members will be permitted to attend the Championship, all duals will be broadcast live on the Pac-12 Networks.
No. 1 USC def. No. 2 UCLA, 3-2
Mapes Beach • Los Angeles, Calif.
Thursday, April 22, 2021
RECORDS: UCLA (24-3), USC (23-2)
1. Lexy Denaburg/Savvy Simo (UCLA) def. Julia Scoles/Sammy Slater (USC); 21-19, 23-21
2. Hailey Harward/Megan Kraft (USC) def. Lea Monkhouse/Devon Newberry (UCLA); 21-19, 23-21
3. Megan Muret/Abby Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Paige Dreeuws/Haley Hallgren (USC); 21-16, 10-21, 15-11
4. Joy Dennis/Delaynie Maple (USC) def. Cami Sanchez/Jacqueline Quade (UCLA); 21-19, 21-18
5. Audrey Nourse/Nicole Nourse (USC) def. Rileigh Powers/Jaden Whitmarsh (UCLA); 21-19, 16-21, 15-13
Exh. Hannah Phair/Maggie Walters (UCLA) vs. Mollie Ebertin/Harper Hallgren (USC); 21-19, 22-24, DNF
Order of finish: 4, 2, 3, 1, 5*