Ducks Drop Quarterfinal Battle with Cal
SAN DIEGO – Oregon took No. 3 seed California down to the wire in singles play, with four matches going to three sets, but came up short in a 4-1 loss in the quarterfinals of the Pac-12 Championships Saturday.
The Ducks will learn their NCAA postseason fate when the selection show airs on Monday, May 3 on NCAA.com.
How it Happened: The Ducks fell behind 1-0 after dropping the doubles point for only the fourth time all season. After falling 6-0 at the No. 3 spot, Rifanty Kahfiani and Janice Tjen dropped their match at the No. 1 spot, 6-4 to give Cal the opening point.
Needing to win four singles matches to win, Oregon showed tremendous fight across the board in singles. After the Bears put up their second point with a win at No. 5 singles, Tjen picked up yet another ranked win with a 6-1, 4-6, 6-3 win over No. 62 Haley Giavara to give the Ducks their first point of the match.
The remaining four matches all were close back-and-forth battles, with three of those going to three sets and the other going to a tiebreaker in the first set. Uxia Martinez Moral came back from a first set loss to force a third but ultimately fell, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 to Jada Bui, who put up the third point for Cal. Kahfiani erased a 5-2 deficit in her first set at the No. 2 spot to force a tiebreaker but came up short there before dropping the second set in a 7-6(3), 6-4 loss that gave Cal the match clincher.
Ares Teixido Garcia and Myah Petchey also went three sets in their matches before they were halted following the clinch. Teixido Garcia won the opening set before falling in the second while Petchey helped keep Oregon's hopes alive by coming back from a first-set loss to take the second and force another three-set match at the No. 6 spot.
California 4, Oregon 1
1. Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (CAL) def. Rifanty Kahfiani/Janice Tjen (ORE), 6-4
2. Uxia Martinez Moral/Myah Petchey (ORE) vs. Anna Bright/Hannah Viller Moeller (CAL), 5-4 (uf)
3. Jada Bui/Erin Richardson (CAL) def. Julia Eshet/Allison Mulville (ORE), 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. #36 Janice Tjen (ORE) def. #62 Haley Giavara (CAL), 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
2. Julia Rosenqvist (CAL) def. Rifanty Kahfiani (ORE), 7-6(3), 6-4
3. Jada Bui (CAL) def. Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
4. Hannah Viller Moeller (CAL) vs. Ares Teixido Garcia (ORE), 4-6, 6-2, 5-4 (uf)
5. Anna Bright (CAL) def. Julia Eshet (ORE), 6-1, 6-1
6. Cami Brown (CAL) vs. Myah Petchey (ORE), 6-2, 3-6, 3-2
Order of finish: 5, 1, 3, 2
Up Next: Oregon will find out its NCAA Tournament fate during the NCAA Selection Show on Monday, May 3 at 3 p.m.