Ducks Lose to #15 USC in Quarterfinals
EUGENE, Ore. – The Oregon men's tennis team dropped a 4-1 decision to No. 15 USC Saturday evening in the quarterfinal round of the Pac-12 Tournament in San Diego. The Ducks picked up their point from Jesper Klöv-Nilsson at No. 4 singles. Oregon, the tournament's No. 6 seed, is now 15-6 this season.
How It Happened: In a reverse of the first meeting between the two teams, USC (18-6) won the doubles point with victories at the top-two spots in the lineup. The Trojans took that momentum into singles and took a 3-0 advantage with straight-set wins at the five and three spots, respectively.
Klöv-Nilsson got the Ducks on the board with a 6-3, 6-2 triumph over Bradley Frye, extending his team-leading total to 16 singles wins. The Sweden native has won seven of his last nine matches, and now has 30 singles wins in his UO career.
Joshua Charlton took the first set off No. 36 Riley Smith and was deep into the second set—trailing 4-5—when USC clinched the match with a straight-set win at No. 1 singles. At the time, Luke Vandecasteele was ahead 3-1 in the second set after dropping a tight first in a tiebreaker.
The Ducks await their NCAA fate when the selection show airs May 3 at 3:30 p.m. (PT).
Pac-12 Tournament Quarterfinal
#15 USC 4, Oregon 1
Barnes Tennis Center (San Diego, Calif)
1. #14 Cukierman/Smith (USC) d. #42 Charlton/Q. Vandecasteele (ORE) – 6-4
2. Dostanic/Frye (USC)d. Coste/Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) – 6-3
3. Lam/Matsushita (ORE) vs Jackson/Sands (USC) – 4-5 unfinished
Order of Finish: 1, 2
1. #40 Daniel Cukierman (USC) d. Emmanuel Coste (ORE) – 6-3, 6-1
2. #107 Joshua Charlton (ORE) vs #36 Riley Smith (USC) – 6-2, 4-5 unfinished
3. #82 Stefan Dostanic (USC) d. Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) – 6-4, 6-3
4. Jesper Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) d. Bradley Frye (USC) – 6-3, 6-2
5. Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) d. Brandon Lam (ORE) – 6-3, 6-1
6. Luke Vandecasteele (ORE) vs Jake Sands (USC) – 6-7(5), 3-1 unfinished
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 4, 1
For more news and information about the Ducks, follow @OregonMTennis on Instagram and Twitter, and @OregonMensTennis on Facebook.