Huskies Ousted From Pac-12s By Cardinal
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Husky men's tennis had an improved showing since its last meeting with Stanford, less than a week ago, but still couldn't extend enough matches today at the Barnes Tennis Center, as the Cardinal had a 4-0 win to knock UW out of the Pac-12 Championships. The Huskies were leading on the remaining three courts when Stanford clinched.
The eighth-seeded Huskies and top-seeded Cardinal played just six days ago in Seattle when Stanford earned a 7-0 win. Today, Ewen Lumsden and Adam Torocsik had set one wins in singles, and Jack Davis had turned around his match and was leading 4-2 in the third set, but Stanford finished off straight set wins at one, four, and six to advance to the Pac-12 tourney semis.
The Cardinal clinched the doubles point with a 6-3 win at No. 2 with Sah/Boyer defeating Thibault Cancel and Clement Chidekh. The Huskies went with a new duo at No. 3, Torocsik and Pulliam, but Stanford won the final four games there for a 6-2 win. Stanford also led 5-3 at No. 1 doubles when the match was suspended.
Sophomore Chidekh had a 6-2, 6-2 loss at No. 1 singles to 93rd-ranked Axel Geller. Freshman Han-Chih Lin dropped a 6-2, 6-1 match to Tristan Boyer at No. 4. The Cardinal clinched, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 6 singles with Neel Rajesh over Jack Pulliam.
Ewen Lumsden took his first set, 6-4, over 53rd-ranked Arthur Fery at No. 2 singles but Fery was up 5-3 in the second set when the match ended. Jack Davis also shook off a 0-6 first set loss and won the second set, 6-1, over Alexandre Rotsaert, and Davis had a 4-2 third set lead. Torocsik at No. 5 singles won his first set, 6-3, and was even at 5-5 in the second when things ended.
Washington Men's Tennis
April 24, 2021
Barnes Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.
Pac-12 Championships Quarterfinals
Washington – 0
#23/#19 Stanford – 4
1. (#93) Axel Geller (Stan) def. Clement Chidekh (UW) – 6-2, 6-2
2. Ewen Lumsden (UW) vs. (#53) Arthur Fery (Stan) – 6-4, 3-5, DNF
3. Jack Davis (UW) vs. Alexandre Rotsaert (Stan) – 0-6, 6-1, 4-2, DNF
4. Tristan Boyer (Stan) def. Han-Chih Lin (UW) – 6-2, 6-1
5. Adam Torocsik (UW) vs. Timothy Sah (Stan) – 6-3, 5-5, DNF
6. Neel Rajesh (Stan) def. Jack Pulliam (UW) – 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 1, 6
1. Alvarez/Davis (UW) vs. Geller/Kopczynski (Stan) – 3-5, DNF
2. Sah/Boyer (Stan) def. Cancel/Chidekh (UW) – 6-3
3. Fery/Rotsaert (Stan) def. Torocsik/Pulliam (UW) – 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 2