Utah Men's Tennis Falls To #24 Arizona at Pac-12 Championships
SAN DIEGO – The Utah men's tennis team fell to the No. 24-ranked Arizona Wildcats on the first day of the Pac-12 Championships Saturday night at the Barnes Tennis Center. With an upset over the Wildcats in the regular season, Utah could not repeat its result and fell 4-0 in San Diego.
Arizona took the early lead after winning the doubles point. The Wildcats' top duo jumped out to a 5-1 lead over Slava Shainyan and Francisco Bastias and eventually took a 6-3 win. Courts two and three for the Utes found themselves playing from behind and both trailing 3-5. Both courts cut it to 4-5, but Geronimo Busleiman and Mathias Gavelin could not grab their next game and dropped the set 6-4 to give Arizona a 1-0 lead.
Utah struggled to match Arizona's efforts to start singles play as the Utes dropped all but one first set. Busleiman was the lone Ute to pick up the first set as he went back and forth on court two until rattling off two consecutive games for a 7-5 win. Gavelin had his first set tied at 4-4 after trailing early, but couldn't finish it as he fell 6-4 in the first.
In the second half of the match, Utah battled and put up a fight to keep their tournament hopes alive. Bruno Krenn bounced back big in his second set and took a 6-3 win to head to a third, but in the meantime, Capalbo and Shainyan fell on courts one and three to push the Wildcat lead to 3-0.
Busleiman and Bastias played tight sets on courts two and four as all eyes turned to court five on Gavelin. Gavelin took a 5-4 lead in his second, but Arizona's Hoeyeraal managed to win the next game and continue on in the set. Eventually, the two pushed the set to a tiebreaker where Gavelin fell behind in a 3-0 hole. He rallied to tie it up at 4-4, but the momentum stopped and saw Hoeyeraal win the next three points for the set and match.
The Utes will now await the NCAA team and individual bids that will be announced May 3-4. Utah is now 18-11 overall this season and went 2-5 in Pac-12 play this season.
#24 Arizona 4, Utah 0
1. Gustaf Strom (ARIZ) def. Franco Capalbo (UU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Geronimo Busleiman (UU) vs. Jonas Ziverts (ARIZ), 7-5, 4-3, unf.
3. Filip Malbasic (ARIZ) def. Slava Shainyan (UU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Alejandro Reguant (ARIZ) vs. Francisco Bastias (UU), 6-3, 3-4, unf.
5. Herman Hoeyeraal (ARIZ) def. Mathias Gavelin (UU), 6-4, 7-6 (4)
6. Nick Lagaev (ARIZ) vs. Bruno Krenn (UU), 6-3, 3-6, 1-0, unf.
1. Ziverts/Hassey (ARIZ) def. Bastias/Shainyan (UU), 6-3
2. Reguant/Malbasic (ARIZ) vs. Capalbo/Flores (UU), 5-4, unf.
3. Lagaev/Strom (ARIZ) def. Busleiman/Gavelin (UU), 6-4