Coste Clinches 4-3 Win Over Utah
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The Oregon men's tennis team recorded a 4-3 win over Utah in consolation play Sunday at the Pac-12 Tournament in San Diego. With the score tied at 3-all, senior Emmanuel Coste posted the clinching point with a three-set victory at No. 1 singles.
Oregon improves to 16-6 and advances to Monday's fifth-place match against UCLA at 9 a.m. (PT).
How It Happened: Utah (18-12) took an early lead in doubles play with a victory at the No. 2 spot but the Ducks responded with a win from Brandon Lam and Ryoma Matsushita on court three. In a sign of things to come, all eyes turned to the top spot where Joshua Charlton and Quinn Vandecasteele posted a 7-5 win over Francisco Bastias and Slava Shainyan to clinch the opening point.
During the back-and-forth singles point, neither team posted consecutive wins. Utah got its first point with a win at No. 5 singles but the Ducks regained the lead—2-1—when Luke Vandecasteele recorded a 6-2, 6-2 triumph in the sixth spot in the lineup. Once again, Utah pulled back even with a straight-set win at No. 3 singles.
Jesper Klöv-Nilsson secured his second win of the tournament, beating Mathias Gavelin with a 6-2, 6-4 score line. With the result, Klöv-Nilsson improved to 17-3 in singles play this season and gave his team a 3-2 lead over Utah. He has won four in a row, including eight of his last 10 matches.
The see-saw scoreboard continued with a win by the Utes' Geronimo Busleiman at No. 2 singles, making the match even at 3-all.
After dropping the opening set at the spot of the singles lineup, Coste stormed through the second set on his way to a 1-6, 6-0, 6-2 triumph over Franco Capalbo. Sunday marked the Ducks' third 4-3 victory of the season.
Pac-12 Tournament – Consolation
Oregon 4, Utah 3
Barnes Tennis Center (San Diego, Calif)
1. Charlton/Q. Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Bastias/Shainyan (UTAH) – 7-5
2. Capalbo/Flores (UTAH) d. Coste/Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) – 6-3
3. Lam/Matsushita (ORE) d. Busleiman/Gavelin (UTAH) – 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Emmanuel Coste (ORE) d. Franco Capalbo (UTAH) – 1-6, 6-0, 6-2
2. Geronimo Busleiman (UTAH) d. Joshua Charlton (ORE) – 6-3, 7-6
3. Francisco Bastias (UTAH) d. Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) – 6-2, 6-3
4. Jesper Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) d. Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) – 6-2, 6-4
5. Bruno Krenn (UTAH) d. Brandon Lam (ORE) – 7-5, 6-0
6. Luke Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Rian Ta (UTAH) – 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 3, 4, 2, 1
For more news and information about the Ducks, follow @OregonMTennis on Instagram and Twitter, and @OregonMensTennis on Facebook.