Huskies Drop Back Draw Dual To Bruins, 4-1
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The Huskies had one of their more complete efforts against a top-30 opponent today but it wasn't enough to take down UCLA as the Bruins earned a 4-1 win in the back draw of the Pac-12 Championships. Four singles matches went into third sets but UCLA won the first two to clinch the match and suspend the final two.
Washington and UCLA had first round Pac-12 Championship losses on Saturday at the Barnes Tennis Center, and this year a back draw is in use for the men's tournament. Washington will play once more on Monday at 9 a.m.
The Huskies (10-12) won the doubles point for a great start to the day. Alexis Alvarez and Jack Davis had a 6-2 win over the 68th-ranked duo of Baird/Nanda and then Thibaul Cancel and Clement Chidekh clinched the point with a 6-3 win at No. 2 doubles over Pereira/Zahraj.
Things quickly swung the Bruins way in singles play, as UCLA won five of the six first sets. Only Chidekh at No. 1 singles had a 6-2 first set win over 74th-ranked Nanda.
But after that the Dawgs swung three of the matches, with second set wins on courts two, three, and five. However UCLA did the same on court one, as Nanda saved a match point at 4-5 and won a tiebreak against Chidekh to send that into a third set.
UCLA had straight set wins on courts four and six to take a 2-1 lead overall. Washington would need three of the four third sets to win, but the Bruins made a big late push and closed it out. Jack Davis lost a 6-4, 4-6, 6-1 decision to Ben Goldberg at No. 3 singles. Adam Torocsik rebounded impressively from a 0-6 first set and won the second, 7-5, but fell just short in the third set, 4-6, against Mathew Tsolakyan at No. 5 singles to end it.
Chidekh had fallen behind 1-4 in his third set against Nanda. Ewen Lumsden was locked in a 3-3 third set battle with 115th-ranked Drew Baird at No. 2 singles, after losing the first set 4-6 but winning the second, 6-2.
Washington Men's Tennis
April 25, 2021
Barnes Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.
Pac-12 Championships Consolation
Washington – 1
#28/#27 UCLA – 4
1. Clement Chidekh (UW) vs. (#74) Govind Nanda (UCLA) – 6-2, 6-7 (1), 1-4, DNF
2. Ewen Lumsden (UW) vs. (#115) Drew Baird (UCLA) – 4-6, 6-2, 3-3, DNF
3. Ben Goldberg (UCLA) def. Jack Davis (UW) – 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
4. Sam Feit (UCLA) def. Han-Chih Lin (UW) – 6-0, 6-2
5. Mathew Tsolakyan (UCLA) def. Adam Torocsik (UW) – 6-0, 5-7, 6-4
6. Roscoe Bellamy (UCLA) def. Jack Pulliam (UW) – 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 4, 3, 5
1. Alvarez/Davis (UW) def. (#68) Baird/Nanda (UCLA) – 6-2
2. Cancel/Chidekh (UW) def. Pereira/Zahraj (UCLA) – 6-3
3. Bellamy/Tsolakyan (UCLA) def. Torocsik/Pulliam (UW) – 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2