Men's Tennis Tops Washington in Consolation Match
SAN DIEGO – The fourth-seeded UCLA men's tennis team defeated No. 8 seed Washington, 4-1, in a Pac-12 Championships consolation match Saturday afternoon at Barnes Tennis Center.
The Bruins (13-6) came out on top of a pair of three-set decisions down the stretch to complete the comeback win. Ben Goldberg and Mathew Tsolakyan posted three-set victories, with Tsolakyan providing the clinching point. Roscoe Bellamy and Sam Feit also triumphed in singles play. The Huskies (10-12) collected the doubles point, but were unable to get on the board again.
UCLA will meet Oregon in Monday's fifth-place match, set to begin at 9 a.m., PT.
Alexis Alvarez and Jack Davis of Washington earned the first win of the day on the top doubles court, dispatching of No. 68 Drew Baird and Govind Nanda by a 6-2 score. Bellamy and Tsolakyan leveled the score on Court 3, where they posted a 6-3 result versus Jack Pulliam and Adam Torocsik that marks their fifth win in six decisions. The Huskies would strike back for the first point, though, with Thibault Cancel and Clement Chidekh closing out Bryce Pereira and Patrick Zahraj in a 6-3 decision on the middle court.
With work to do in singles play, the Bruins took five first sets. The sixth match, a top-court showdown between No. 74 Nanda and Chidekh, went three sets before being left unfinished.
Bellamy collected his second straight-set singles win of the tournament and third in a row overall, cruising to a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Jack Pulliam on Court 6 to tie the team score.
Feit mirrored Bellamy's performance with a 6-0, 6-2 showing of his own against Han-Chih Lin on Court 3, giving the Bruins their first lead of the day. It also marked Feit's second win in San Diego and third in as many matches.
Next off was Goldberg, who split sets with Davis on Court 3 before seizing control in the third. The 6-4, 4-6, 6-1 result gave UCLA a 3-1 lead and Goldberg his second three-set win against a Husky this season.
Tsolakyan provided the deciding point on Court 5 with a 17-shot rally that sealed his 6-0, 5-7, 6-4 victory over Torocsik. Tsolakyan has now posted a team-high four clinching points.
Tennis Match Results
Washington vs UCLA
4/25/2021 at San Diego, CA
(Barnes Tennis Center)
#28 UCLA 4, Washington 1
1. #74 Govind Nanda (UCLA) vs. Clement Chidekh (WASH) 2-6, 7-6 (7-1), 4-1, unfinished
2. Drew Baird (UCLA) vs. Ewen Lumsden (WASH) 6-4, 2-6, 3-3, unfinished
3. Ben Goldberg (UCLA) def. Jack Davis (WASH) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
4. Sam Feit (UCLA) def. Han-Chih Lin (WASH) 6-0, 6-2
5. Mathew Tsolakyan (UCLA) def. Adam Torocsik (WASH) 6-0, 5-7, 6-4
6. Roscoe Bellamy (UCLA) def. Jack Pulliam (WASH) 6-0, 6-2
1. Alexis Alvarez/Jack Davis (WASH) def. #68 Drew Baird/Govind Nanda (UCLA) 6-2
2. Thibault Cancel/Clement Chidekh (WASH) def. Bryce Pereira/Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) 6-3
3. Roscoe Bellamy/Mathew Tsolakyan (UCLA) def. Jack Pulliam/Adam Torocsik (WASH) 6-3
UCLA 13-6; National ranking #28
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,4,3,5)