Utah Drops Tight Match To Oregon In Consolation Play
SAN DIEGO - The Utah men's tennis team was able to get more action in at the Barnes Tennis Center after consolation matches were added to the weekend's play at the Pac-12 Championships. Utah played Oregon on Sunday in San Diego for its first consolation match where the Utes dropped an extremely competitive 4-3 contest.
Utah fell in doubles play to fall behind 1-0 after the only duo to collect a win was Franco Capalbo and Luis Flores on court two. Capalbo and Flores took their set 6-4 first, but Oregon then bounced back for wins on court one and three to grab the lead.
Singles play followed doubles as a competitive fight as the first sets were split between the teams. In the second sets, Bruno Krenn started the wins for Utah when he downed his opponent on court five 6-0 in the second for a 7-5, 6-0 win to tie the match 1-1. Oregon then regained the lead not too long after when Rian Ta fell on court six.
Utah threw a punch back as Francisco Bastias pulled through with another straight-set win 6-2, 6-3 to have the match sit back at 2-2. It was again the Ducks with the next point to push the lead to 3-2 and need just one of the two remaining courts after KLov-Nilsson defeated Mathias Gavelin on court four. In a vital match for the Utes, Busleiman battled through a tight second set and went to a tiebreaker. Busleiman pulled through in the tiebreaker to win his match on court two and have the match fall into the hands of both's teams No. 1 players.
Tied 3-3, Capalbo and Oregon's Coste battled it out on court one where the duo split sets to begin. Capalbo won the first 6-1, but couldn't sustain the momentum as Coste took the second 6-0. In the third and final set, Coste downed Capalbo 6-2 for the match-winning point.
Utah will close out play in San Diego with another consolation match, this time against Washington Monday morning at 10 a.m. MT.
Oregon 4, Utah 3
1. Vandecasteele/Charlton (UO) def. Shainyan/Bastias (UU), 7-5
2. Capalbo/Flores (UU) def. Coste/Klov-Nilsson (UO), 6-4
3. Matsasuki/Lam (UO) def. Busleiman/Gavelin (UU), 6-4
1. Coste (UO) def. Franco Capalbo (UU), 1-6, 6-0, 6-2
2. Geronimo Busleiman (UU) def. Charlton (UO), 6-3, 7-6
3. Francisco Bastias (UU) def. Q. Vandecasteele (UO), 6-2, 6-3
4. Klov-Nilsson (UO) def. Mathias Gavelin (UU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Bruno Krenn (UU) def. Lam (UO), 7-5, 6-0
6. L. Vandecasteele (UO) def. Rian Ta (UU), 6-2, 6-2