Women's Tennis Stopped Short in Pac-12 Final
SAN DIEGO – The top-seeded UCLA women's tennis team was outlasted by No. 3 seed California, 4-2, in a rain-delayed Pac-12 Championships final-round match at Barnes Tennis Center Monday afternoon.
The Bruins (19-4) collected the doubles point, only to have the Golden Bears (17-6) prevail on four of the five completed singles courts. Julia Rosenqvist clinched the tournament title for Cal, which knocked off four-time defending champion Stanford in the semifinals. Vivian Wolff turned in the lone singles victory for the Bruins, who turn their attention to the NCAA selection show, scheduled to air May 3 on NCAA.com.
Abbey Forbes and Jada Hart received little pushback from Haley Giavara and Valentina Ivanov on the top doubles court, posting a 6-2 result to tip the scales in favor of UCLA. The remaining two matches were much closer affairs, with each at one point in a 5-5 tie. Abi Altick and Elysia Bolton earned a break of serve at 5-5, though, and closed out the match to secure the doubles point.
Momentum shifted in Cal's direction throughout the singles first sets. The Golden Bears ultimately seized four and quickly started turning those into wins. Anna Bright posted a 6-0, 6-3 performance against Annette Goulak on Court 6, getting Cal on the board and tying the overall score in one fell swoop.
No. 62 Giavara handed No. 8 Forbes her first loss since Feb. 7, recording 6-4, 6-2 decision on the top court that gave the Golden Bears their first lead of the day.
Wolff registered her third straight-set victory in as many days, defeating Jada Bui by a 6-3, 6-2 score on Court 4 to pull the Bruins back even.
Hannah Viller Moeller provided Cal its third straight-set win to break the tie. Her 6-2, 6-3 showing against Sasha Vagramov on Court 5 turned the focus to Courts 2 and 3, which were both destined for three sets.
With No. 50 Hart out to a 4-3 advantage on Court 2, Julia Rosenqvist delivered the deciding point. Rosenqvist picked up the first four games of her final set with Bolton and ultimately logged a 6-7(0), 7-5, 6-1 difference maker.
Tennis Match Results
California vs UCLA
4/26/2021 at San Diego, CA
(Barnes Tennis Center)
#27 California 4, #5 UCLA 2
1. #62 Haley Giavara (CAL) def. #8 Abbey Forbes (UCLA) 6-4, 6-2
2. #50 Jada Hart (UCLA) vs. Valentina Ivanov (CAL) 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
3. Julia Rosenqvist (CAL) def. Elysia Bolton (UCLA) 6-7 (0-7), 7-5, 6-1
4. Vivian Wolff (UCLA) def. Jada Bui (CAL) 6-3, 6-2
5. H. Viller Moeller (CAL) def. Sasha Vagramov (UCLA) 6-2, 6-3
6. Anna Bright (CAL) def. Annette Goulak (UCLA) 6-0, 6-3
1. Abbey Forbes/Jada Hart (UCLA) def. Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (CAL) 6-2
2. Annette Goulak/Vivian Wolff (UCLA) vs. Anna Bright/H. Viller Moeller (CAL) 6-5, unfinished
3. Abi Altick/Elysia Bolton (UCLA) def. Jada Bui/Erin Richardson (CAL) 7-5
California 17-6; National ranking #27
UCLA 19-4; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,6,4,5,3)