Huskies Sweep Utah After Loss To No. 2 UCLA
Contender's Bracket, Friday, Apr. 30
(7) Washington vs. (6) Arizona State, 9:45 a.m.
Live on Pac-12 Networks | Live Stats
LOS ANGELES – Washington picked up a quick victory to cap off the first day of the Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Championships today at UCLA's Mapes Beach. The Dawgs will look to make a run on Friday in the contender's bracket as UW's tourney opened up with a loss to 2nd-ranked UCLA, before UW easily handled the Utes in an elimination match.
The seventh-seeded Huskies will take on sixth-seeded Arizona State Friday morning at 9:45 a.m. in another elimination match as the top four seeded teams all won to stay in the main draw. The Sun Devils have two wins over the Huskies earlier this season, but the most recent one was a 3-2 final and the Huskies (5-12) will hope that the third time is the charm.
Against the Utes tonight, Washington fully controlled each set. Avie Niece and Natalie Robinson had a 21-18, 21-9 win at No. 2 against Utah's Patchell and Teerlink for the first point. The second point came from No. 4 where Ashley Shook and Hannah Yerex defeated Kowalczyk/Saucedo Mondragon, 21-6, 21-18.
The final point came at the No. 1 spot where Shayne McPherson and Chloe Loreen won, 21-9, 21-8 over Utah's Koch/Andrew. At No. 3, Scarlett Dahl and Kyra Petersen had won their first set when the match was clinched, and Callie Weber and Cassidy Schilling were also up a set at No. 5.
In the first match, the Huskies had the tough draw of the 2019 NCAA Champion Bruins. McPherson and Loreen were in both sets against Simo and Denaburg of UCLA but fell, 21-15, 21-15. Yerex and Shook also hung tough in a 21-17, 21-14 loss at No. 4 to Muret/Quade. UCLA also had a 21-15, 21-10 win over Niece and Robinson at No. 2.
Washington Beach Volleyball
April 29, 2021
Los Angeles | Mapes Beach (UCLA)
Match 1 – Main Draw
Washington – 0
#2 UCLA – 3
1. Simo/Denaburg (UCLA) def. McPherson/Loreen (UW) – 21-15, 21-15
2. Monkhouse/Newberry (UCLA) def. Robinson/Niece (UW) – 21-15, 21-10
3. Dahl/Petersen (UW) vs. Van Winkle/Sparks (UCLA) – 9-21, 9-11, DNF
4. Muret/Quade (UCLA) def. Yerex/Shook (UW) – 21-17, 21-14
5. Schilling/Weber (UW) vs. Powers/Whitmarsh (UCLA) – 13-21, 4-6, DNF
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 1
Match 2 – Contender's Draw
Washington – 3
Utah – 0
1. McPherson/Loreen (UW) def. Koch/Andrew (Utah) – 21-9, 21-8
2. Robinson/Niece (UW) def. Patchell/Teerlink (Utah) – 21-18, 21-9
3. Dahl/Petersen (UW) vs. Lee/Smalls (Utah) – 21-15, 1-1, DNF
4. Yerex/Shook (UW) def. Kowalczyk/Saucedo Mondragon (Utah) – 21-6, 21-18
5. Schilling/Weber (UW) vs. Rideout/Stahle (Utah) – 21-5, 13-8, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 1