Win Over Utah Highlights First Day at Pac-12s
LOS ANGELES – Oregon split its opening two matches of the Pac-12 Championships Thursday at Mapes Beach, winning 3-2 against Utah in the first round before falling, 3-0, to No. 1 USC. The Ducks' win over the Utes was just their second-ever in the Pac-12 Championships with the other coming the last time the tournament was held in 2019.
The loss to the top-ranked Trojans in the second match of the day sends Oregon into the contenders' bracket of the double elimination tournament. The Ducks will face No. 11 California in an elimination match Friday morning at 8 a.m.
How It Happened – Match 1, Oregon 3, Utah 2: Oregon split the first two duals of the match, falling at the No. 2 spot but tying it up with a win at No. 4. After Josie Cole and Anastasia Lima fell, 21-12, 21-18, Ashley Schroeder and Bea Wetton picked up a straight-sets win at the No. 4 spot, 21-14, 21-14 make it 1-1.
Savannah Siegrist and Delaney Hopen quickly put up the second point for the Ducks to give them a 2-1 lead with a 21-11, 21-12 win at the No. 5 spot to open the second flight of matches. The Utes answered, though, with a win at the No. 1 spot as Carly Wallace and Madelyn LaFollette bounced back from an opening set loss to force a third, but dropped the dual, 21-15, 18-21, 15-12.
That put the outcome of the match on the No. 3 spot, where Zoe Almanza and Vivian Donovan were in a third set against the Utes' Keana Smalls and Camille Lee. The Duck duo cruised to a first set win before losing a close second set to send it to a deciding frame. Almanza and Donovan held a commanding 8-4 lead in the third, but the Utes went on a 10-5 run to get match point, up 14-13. The Ducks, however, closed on a 3-0 run with Donovan putting down a kill to clinch a 21-11, 17-21, 16-14 match victory.
Match 2 – No. 1 USC 3, Oregon 0: Facing a tall task against the No. 1 team in the country, Oregon fell into early holes in the first two matches and couldn't dig out of it as the Trojans took a 2-0 lead. Schroeder and Wetton fell at the No. 4 spot, 21-12, 21-10, before Cole and Lima dropped their match at the No. 2 position, 21-9, 21-9.
USC continued its dominance in the second set of matches, rolling to a 21-9, 21-10 win at the No. 1 spot over Wallace and LaFollette to clinch the match. The Ducks were also behind in the other two matches when the dual was clinched. Siegrist and Hopen dropped their opening set, 21-13, and were facing match point at 20-8 when the match was halted. Donovan and Almanza put up a good fight in the opening set at the No. 3 spot, getting to within 16-14 before falling 21-17.
Oregon 3, Utah 2
1. Marissa Koch/Grace Andrews (UTAH) def. Carly Wallace/Madelyn LaFollette (ORE) 21-15, 18-21, 15-12
2. Sage Patchell/Olivia Teerlink (UTAH) def. Josie Cole/Anastasia Lima (ORE) 21-12, 21-18
3. Vivian Donovan/Zoe Almanza (ORE) def. Camille Lee/Keana Smalls (UTAH) 21-11, 17-21, 16-14
4. Bea Wetton/Ashley Schroeder (ORE) def. Mia Kowalczyk/Joana S. Mondragon (UTAH) 21-14, 21-14
5. Savannah Siegrist/Delaney Hopen (ORE) def. Macy Rideout/Hannah Stahle (UTAH) 21-11, 21-12
Order of finish: 2, 4, 1, 5, 3
No. 1 USC 3, Oregon 0
1. Tina Graudina/Megan Kraft (USC) def. Carly Wallace/Madelyn LaFollette (ORE) 21-9, 21-10
2. Julia Scoles/Sammy Slater (USC) def. Josie Cole/Anastasia Lima (ORE) 21-9, 21-9
3. Hailey Harward/Haley Hallgren (USC) vs. Vivian Donovan/Zoe Almanza (ORE) 21-17, 14-7, unfinished
4. Joy Dennis/Delaynie Maple (USC) def. Bea Wetton/Ashley Schroeder (ORE) 21-12, 21-10
5. Audrey Nourse/Nicole Nourse (USC) vs. Savannah Siegrist/Delaney Hopen (ORE) 21-13, 20-8, unfinished
Order of finish: 4, 2, 1
Up Next: The Ducks will look to keep their season alive when they take on No. 11 California Friday morning at 8 a.m. (Pac-12 Network) in an elimination match.