Beach Season Ends with Loss to Cal
LOS ANGELES – Oregon again fought hard against a highly-ranked opponent, but ultimately fell to No. 11 California, 3-0, in the elimination bracket of the Pac-12 Championships Friday at Mapes Beach.
The Ducks finish the season at 8-11, setting a program single-season wins record and winning a match at the Pac-12 Championships for the second time in program history. It was also the first time that Oregon went through a season with a roster made up entirely of beach-only players.
How It Happened: Oregon showed no signs of backing down from another challenge to start, with Zoe Almanza and Vivian Donovan taking their opening set at the No. 3 spot. The pair were in control the whole way in the first frame, leading 15-9 at one point before winning the set 21-16. After dropping the second, they led 5-2 in third set before Cal went on a 5-0 run to go up 7-5 on the way to finishing off a 16-21, 21-14, 15-12 win over Almanza and Donovan.
Just prior to that, Oregon's No. 5 pair, Savannah Siegrist and Delaney Hopen also put up a good fight before falling 21-12, 21-16. After losing the first set, they went back-and-forth through the first half of the second cutting it to 14-13 at one point before a late run by Cal ended the match to put up the first point for the Bears.
Madelyn LaFollette and Carly Wallace dropped their opening set, 21-10, after leading 7-5 early on at the No. 1 spot. The pair were down 8-3 in set two when Wallace sustained an injury and could not continue, ending the match and giving the dual victory to Cal.
No. 11 California 3, Oregon 0
1. Mima Mirkovic/Caroline Schafer (CAL) def. Carly Wallace/Madelyn LaFollette (ORE) 21-10, 21-3 (injury forfeit)
2. Josie Cole/Anastasia Lima (ORE) vs. Jordan Polo/Ainsley Radell (CAL) 13-21, 1-5 (unfinished)
3. Alexia Inma/Ava Mann (CAL) def. Vivian Donovan/Zoe Almanza (ORE) 16-21, 21-14, 15-12
4. Bea Wetton/Ashley Schroeder (ORE) vs. Maddie Micheletti/Maya Gessner (CAL), 7-11 (unfinished)
5. Brooke Buchner/Grace Paulson (CAL) def. Savannah Siegrist/Delaney Hopen (ORE) 21-12, 21-16
Order of finish: 5, 3, 1