Gameday: Baseball At UCLA (5/1/21)
GAME 42: Oregon State (28-13, 10-6) vs. UCLA (24-13, 11-8)
May 1, 2021 • 6:05 p.m. PT • Los Angeles, Calif. • Jackie Robinson Stadium
LHP Cooper Hjerpe (2-3, 3.12) vs. RHP Sean Mullen (7-1, 2.72)
Oregon State and UCLA continue their three-game series Saturday night at Jackie Robinson Stadium in Los Angeles. First pitch is slated for 6:05 p.m. PT.
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), Rip City Radio 620-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the TuneIn application, which is available for smartphones and tablets (search Beaver Sports Network).
The game will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Networks. Jim Watson and Wes Clements will call the action.
Subscribers to the Pac-12 Networks can watch the game online at pac-12.com or by using the Pac-12 Now app on smartphones and tablets.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Ryan Ober, Matthew Gretler and Justin Boyd all recorded two hits but a bases-loaded balk in the 10th inning sent UCLA to a 6-5 win Friday night. Garret Forrester drove in a pair on a triple and Andy Armstrong extended his hit streak to 10 games with a run-scoring double in the eighth inning. Ober also drove in a run on a double in the ninth.
Armstrong To 10 Games
• Andy Armstrong's double in the eighth inning Friday pushed his hit streak to a season-long 10 games. That is the longest hit streak by an Oregon State player this season.
• It is the second-longest hit streak of Armstrong's career, just behind a 15-gamer in 2018.
• Armstrong is 15-for-43 (.349) with three doubles, four walks and three RBI during the streak.
Closing The Book On April
• Oregon State closed the book on an 18-game month of April in Friday's loss.
• The Beavers finished the month with a 10-8 mark, but a 3-6 record away from home.
• OSU batted .293 with 55 of the team's 189 hits going for extra bases. The Beavers also drew 87 walks to 162 strikeouts.
• On the mound, the Beavers posted a 3.63 ERA, recording 193 strikeouts in 166 innings. The staff allowed 129 hits and 79 walks.
That's 443 Strikeouts
• Oregon State's pitchers recorded 14 strikeouts in Friday's opener. That pushed the Beavers to 443 strikeouts on the season.
• Arizona, the Pac-12's No. 2 team for strikeouts this season, has 363.
• OSU is the lone Pac-12 squad averaging more than 10 strikeouts per nine innings, doing so at a 10.69 clip.
• The Beavers have totaled 165 strikeouts in Pac-12 play, second in the league, and are averaging 10.31 Ks per nine innings.
• Garret Forrester has now reached base safely in 17 consecutive games.
• Ryan Ober picked up his 15th multi-hit game Friday, and is one shy of Andy Armstrong for the team lead.
• Armstrong has reached base in 11 straight.
• Friday's loss marked the first time OSU has lost when leading into the ninth inning.