Minnesota Selects Camryn Bynum In Fourth Round Of NFL Draft
CLEVELAND, Ohio – Cornerback Camryn Bynum became the first Cal player selected in the 2021 NFL Draft when he was chosen in the fourth round by the Minnesota Vikings on Saturday. Bynum was the 125th overall pick.
"I'm just blessed to be able to be drafted and by Minnesota at that, it's a super blessing," Bynum said.
"I started crying, ugly crying," Bynum added when asked about his reaction to the phone call from the Vikings. "I was just super excited. I couldn't hold it in, just thinking of all the work we put in. And with all my teammates, friends and family being there. It all paid off. The excitement was crazy."
Cal has now also had at least one player taken in the NFL Draft in 33 of the last 35 years. Bynum became the 242nd Cal player selected in the history of the NFL Draft.
— Camryn Bynum (@Cambeezy_) May 2, 2021
— Cal Football (@CalFootball) May 1, 2021
Below are notes on Bynum with an extended bio available by clicking on his name.
Camryn Bynum, CB, 6-0, 200, Corona, CA (Centennial HS)
Cal – 2016-20; Undergraduate Degree – American Studies (December 2020)
– The only Cal player to start all 42 games from 2017-20 with each of his starts at cornerback as he posted career totals of 188 tackles, 8.0 tackles for loss (-16 yards), 0.5 sacks (-5 yards), six interceptions that he returned for a combined 20 yards, 29 pass breakups and 35 passes defended, with his 29 career pass breakups ranking fifth in school history
– Recorded a career-high 63 tackles and 3.0 tackles for loss (career-high-tying -5 yards) while playing in and starting a career-high-tying all 13 games as a junior
– Earned first-team All-Pac-12 honors in a vote of the league's coaches as a 2020 senior when he started all four games and contributed 19 tackles, 2.0 tackles for loss (-3 yards), one interception that he returned for a career-high and career-long 20 yards, and two pass breakups in a season shortened to four games for Cal due to the COVID-19 pandemic
Extensive coverage of all former Cal football players selected in the 2021 NFL Draft and those that sign undrafted free agent contracts following the draft will be provided via the Cal Athletics social media outlets listed below and online at CalBears.com. Undrafted free agent signings will not be formally publicized by Cal Athletics prior to an official announcement from the NFL team but offensive lineman Jake Curhan and defensive end Zeandae Johnson have seemingly indicated what teams they will be signing with from their tweets below.
— Jake Curhan (@curhan71) May 2, 2021
— Z. Johnson (@Zeandaej) May 2, 2021
CAL FOOTBALL 2021 NFL DRAFT COVERAGE
• Web: CalBears.com
• Twitter: @CalFootball, @CalFootballPR, @CalAthletics, @CalRecruiting
• Instagram: Cal_Football, CalAthletics
• Facebook: CalAthletics
• Hashtags: #GoBears, #FTJ, #NFLDraft