No. 2 UCLA Advances to Title Game with 3-1 Win Over No. 1 USC
SOCIAL MEDIA: BeachVB on Twitter | BeachVB on Facebook | BeachVB on Instagram
LOS ANGELES -- No. 2 UCLA (27-3) defeated No. 1 USC (25-3) on Saturday afternoon in the 2021 Pac-12 Championship at Mapes Beach. With the win, the Bruins improve to 12-15 all-time against the Trojans.
The Bruins took a 1-0 lead on court two when Lea Monkhouse and Devon Newberry defeated Julia Scoles and Sammy Slater in straight sets 21-15, 21-16.
UCLA went up 2-0 on court four as Megan Muret and Jacqueline Quade defeated Joy Dennis and Delaynie Maple 21-17, 22-20.
Tina Graudina and Megan Kraft defeated Savvy Simo and Lexy Denaburg 21-11, 21-16 on court one to get the Trojans on the board.
But UCLA's court five pair of Rileigh Powers and Jaden Whitmarsh defeated Audrey Nourse and Nicole Nourse (24-2) in straight sets 21-18, 21-16.
Court three was truncated with UCLA's Abby Van Winkle and Lindsey Sparks leading Hailey Harward and Haley Hallgren 21-17, 19-18.
UCLA will now face the winner of No. 1 USC and No. 4 Stanford today at 4:00 p.m. PDT at Mapes Beach. While no fans or family members will be permitted to attend the Championship, all duals will be broadcast live on the Pac-12 Networks.
No. 2 UCLA def. No. 1 USC, 3-1
Mapes Beach • Los Angeles, Calif.
2021 Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Championship
Saturday, May 1, 2021
RECORDS: UCLA (27-3), USC (25-3)
1. Tina Graudina/Megan Kraft (USC) def. Savvy Simo/Lexy Denaburg (UCLA); 21-11, 21-16
2. Lea Monkhouse/Devon Newberry (UCLA) def. Julia Scoles/Sammy Slater (USC); 21-15, 21-16
3. Abby Van Winkle/Lindsey Sparks (UCLA) vs. Hailey Harward/Haley Hallgren (USC); 21-17, 19-18, unfinished
4. Megan Muret/Jacqueline Quade (UCLA) def. Joy Dennis/Delaynie Maple (USC); 21-17, 22-20
5. Rileigh Powers/Jaden Whitmarsh (UCLA) def. Audrey Nourse/Nicole Nourse (USC); 21-18, 21-16
Order of finish: 2, 4, 1, 5*