Second Varsity Eight Captures a Win over No. 19 Oregon State on Saturday
PULLMAN, Wash. – The No. 16-ranked Washington State rowing team closed the 2021 spring season on Saturday, May 1, with the second varsity eight boat claiming a victory over No. 19 Oregon State at Wawawai Landing.
The second varsity eight highlighted the five-race regatta between the Cougars and the Beavers, as they battled for both the Winchell Cup and Crawford Plate. Washington State had to relinquish both trophies, as OSU won both the first varsity eight race and the overall regatta.
WSU's second varsity eight boat captured the first victory of the morning for the Cougs, as they clocked in at 6:39.96. The Cougars posted a + 2.09 margin over the Beavers in the second varsity eight race. Washington State also claimed a victory in the second and third varsity four race, to cap-off the regatta. The Cougars defeated a pair of OSU varsity four boats with a time of 7:37.55.
"Hats off to the second varsity eight on their performance today. This is the third time we've raced against Oregon State this year and they managed to get the win, so that was good," said WSU rowing coach Jane LaRiviere. "It's a tough beat to beat a good team three times in any sport. But I don't feel like we brought the home-course energy today. There is a lot to process and we will definitely be recharging come Tuesday and figure out the plan moving forward for Pac-12's."
The first varsity eight boat posted a time of 6:36.05 to finish second to the Beavers. Washington State also posted a second-place finish in the first varsity four race, as the Cougars completed the course in 7:28.66. Washington State also took second in the third varsity 8/novice 8 race, clocking in at 7:21.82.
Washington State will now have a couple of weeks to prepare for the 2021 Pac-12 Rowing Championship. This year's Pac-12 Rowing Championship will be held on May 16 at the Sacramento State Aquatic Center in Gold River, California.
For more information on the Washington State rowing team, follow @WSUCougarRowing on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
1st Varsity Eight Race
1) No. 19 Oregon State - 6:30.01
2) No. 16 Washington State - 6:36.05 (Emma Barrett, Renee Kemp, Samantha Schmidt, Abigail Linnenkohl, Kateryna Maistrenko, Lucy Climer-Kennedy, Jessica Norris; coxswain: Ainsley Tiernan)
2nd Varsity Eight Race
1) No. 16 Washington State - 6:39.96 (Cate Field, Hana Anderson, Madeleine Bingham, Sue Yu, Sydney Wick, Cierra Bird, Molly Miller; coxswain: Makenna Price)
2) No. 19 Oregon State - 6:42.08
3rd Varsity Eight/Novice Eight Race
1) No. 19 Oregon State - 7:03.54
2) No. 16 Washington State - 7:21.82 (Anna McHugh, Natalie James, Ashley Frick, Ashlyn Cheuvront, Brooke Aberle, Kendyl Wiley, Ellie Curtright, Bella Gore-Rivero; coxswain: Emily Welcome)
1st Varsity Four Race
1) No. 19 Oregon State - 7:22.14
2) No. 16 Washington State - 7:28.66 (Nora Hefte, Isabella Cristelli, Jensyn Smith, Maddy Pollard; coxswain: Paloma Probart)
2nd Varsity Four Race
1) No. 16 Washington State - 7:37.55 (Laurita Nemeraviciute, Kadri Vilbaste, Meg Montgomery, Grace Himango; coxswain: Audrey Gulig)
2) No. 19 Oregon State (A) - 7:41.85
3) No. 19 Oregon State (B) - 8:07.87