Fuchs’ Homer Highlights Beavers’ 5-3 Win In Series Finale
LOS ANGELES – Greg Fuchs' first career home run in the third inning served as the game winner as Oregon State defeated UCLA, 5-3, in the series finale Sunday at Jackie Robinson Stadium.
Fuchs drilled a 1-2 pitch from UCLA starter Jesse Bergin over the right field fence for a solo shot, and sending the Beavers to their 29th win of the season and 11th in Pac-12 Conference play. The sophomore's home run highlighted a three-hit day for the Gig Harbor, Wash., native, who also drove in a run on a single in the first and singled again in the seventh.
The Beavers (29-14 overall, 11-7 Pac-12) jumped on Bergin for three runs in the first. Joe Casey blooped a single to center for the game's first run, then watched as Fuchs drove in his first with a single to right. Troy Claunch made it 3-0 on another single, this one also going to right.
The three-run advantage did not last long, however, as UCLA (25-14, 12-9) first baseman JT Schwartz hit a two-run home run in the bottom half of the inning.
OSU made it 4-2 on Fuchs' home run in the third but UCLA closed the gap again in the fifth when Kyle Karros hit a solo shot to left.
Claunch gave the Beavers an insurance run on a single to right in the eighth, enabling Justin Boyd – pinch running for Fuchs – to score from second. Claunch ended the day with two hits and two RBI.
Oregon State starter Jake Pfennigs exited after five full innings. He tied a career-high with six strikeouts, scattering three hits and three runs – one earned – and did not issue a walk. He picked up the win to improve to 3-0 on the year.
Relievers Mitchell Verburg, Joey Mundt, Will Frisch and Jake Mulholland combined to hold UCLA scoreless over the last four frames. Mulholland picked up his 11th save of the season and 41st of his career.
Oregon State returns home for a three-game series that starts Friday against USC. First pitch versus the Trojans is slated for 4 p.m. PT.
Follow The Game
The series with the Trojans will air on the Pac-12 Network, Pac-12.com and the Pac-12 Now app for smartphones and tables; visit osubeavers.com for the live video direct link. Live stats, info on the Beaver Sports Network and TuneIn and more can also be found by visiting osubeavers.com.
- Oregon State forced UCLA starter Jesse Bergin to throw 36 pitches during an 18-minute top half of the first inning.
- Greg Fuchs posted his third multi-hit game of the season and second in as many games. His three hits Sunday tied a career high.
- Fuchs became the 14th Beaver to hit at least one home run this season.
- Garret Forrester's first-inning single pushed him to 19 consecutive games reaching base safely. He will enter the USC series on a four-game hit streak.
- Mitchell Verburg got out of a big jam in the sixth. Coming on in relief of Jake Pfennigs, he gave up an inning-opening double. He, however, proceeded to get a flyout to right, a strikeout and groundout to short to end the frame.
Follow Us On Social
For more information on the Oregon State baseball team, follow the club's official Twitter account at Twitter.com/BeaverBaseball, by Facebook at Facebook.com/OregonStateBaseball or on Instagram at Instagram.com/BeaverBaseball.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).