Wildcats Roll Win Streak to 10 in 13-2 Victory Over GCU
TUCSON, Ariz. — Flawless execution in all three phases of the game fueled a dominant 13-2 victory for the Arizona Wildcats (31-11) over the Grand Canyon Antelopes (26-17-1) on Tuesday night at Hi Corbett Field.
The Wildcats offense stole the show, as they have done nearly every time they've taken the field in 2021. Arizona scored in the double digits for the 19th time this year on the back of 13 base knocks — six of which went for extra bases — and five walks. Five different players logged multiple hits and five drove in multiple runs.
Arizona's pitching staff allowed just two runs on five hits while striking out 10. Southpaw Riley Cooper made his first career start and worked 2.0 one-run innings. Right-hander TJ Nichols (4-3) earned the win with 4.1 scoreless, one-hit frames of relief — he issued just one walk and struck out four in his first appearance in two weeks.
Behind the Wildcats lights out pitching was a suffocating defense the played error-free baseball.
- DH Jacob Berry: 3-for-4, R, 3B, 2 RBI
- LF Mac Bingham: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBI
- C Daniel Susac: 1-for-3, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB
- CF Donta Williams: 1-for-2, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI, 2 BB
- SS Nik McClaughry: 2-for-3, 2 R, RBI, BB
- 2B Kobe Kato: 2-for-4, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI
- RHP TJ Nichols: 4.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 4 K, Win (4-3)
- LHP Randy Abshier: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 3 K
- LHP Gil Luna: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 K
Number of the Night
- Tuesday's win extended the Wildcats current win streak to 10 games, giving them two double-digit win streaks in a single season for the first time since 1976.
Photo of the Night
Tweet of the Night
— Arizona Baseball (@ArizonaBaseball) May 5, 2021
Arizona hits the road for a three-game series against the No. 16 Stanford Cardinal. The top two teams in the Pac-12 standings kick off their weekend clash on Friday, May 7 at 6:05 p.m. MST.